cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Stopped taking Raw

dsbarina
Contributor

I have a Canon 1000D and have been taking images in raw and now it is only taking JPG even though it is set to the large raw setting. (not the raw + jpg) . is this a major problem to fix or am i better off starting again as the camera is now 7 yrs old.

Thanks in Advance 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yeah, it sounds like the camera is about to quit on you.  I suggest considering a new camera.  If your have any questions about the current models, don't hesitate to ask.  Lot's of folks around here who know a lot about them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Problem has be solved if any one has the same issue that the camera suddenly stops taking raw, and are on windows 10 check that an update has not unticked to show all file extensions

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dsbarina wrote:

I have a Canon 1000D and have been taking images in raw and now it is only taking JPG even though it is set to the large raw setting. (not the raw + jpg) . is this a major problem to fix or am i better off starting again as the camera is now 7 yrs old.

Thanks in Advance 

That is a very curious issue, most especially because you say it is set to save as RAW.  You might try changing the file save format settings back and forth to see if that wakes it up.  Try resetting the camera.  Try reformatting your memory card and/or use a new card that has been formatted in the camera.  

Not sure if your camera is still being repaired by Canon.  But, an upgrade would be a significant improvement, and would cost not too much more than a major repair.  I have saved a lot at the Canon Onlne Refurbished Store.  They give you one year warranties, just like the new gear.

I did a restet of the camera, I placed a new memory card in it, changed the lens, cleaned the lens points, changed the settings around, changed the menu setting of raw to raw+ jpg, then back to raw only, and nothing is altering it, i have checked the computer thinking it might be a problem in it taking it as a jpg only even tho it was taken in raw, I use photoshop cs5 and all my previous pictures before this happend still open as raw...it also has been not turning on at different times, so i have ordered a new battery, this issue started with the camera not focusing , it then would focus but suddenly not giving raw.

Yeah, it sounds like the camera is about to quit on you.  I suggest considering a new camera.  If your have any questions about the current models, don't hesitate to ask.  Lot's of folks around here who know a lot about them.

Thank you its what i felt was happening but  don't really have camera knowledge and needed conformation on what is best to do incase it was a simple fix

@dsbarina wrote:

Thank you its what i felt was happening but  don't really have camera knowledge and needed conformation on what is best to do incase it was a simple fix

You can check, but I don't think Canon Service still repairs that lens.  It ain't dead, yet, so a repair probably isn't worth it.  That money would be better spent on a body upgrade at this point.  I think the older Rebels were better built than the current ones.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@dsbarina wrote:

You can check, but I don't think Canon Service still repairs that lens.  It ain't dead, yet, so a repair probably isn't worth it.  That money would be better spent on a body upgrade at this point.  I think the older Rebels were better built than the current ones.

Maybe I'm missing something, but do we even know what lens the OP is using? Actually, I think he said he changed lenses and the problem persisted.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

correct I changed the lens, i cleaned the contacts and problem still persisted I have 2 canon EFS 18-55mm image stabliser lens and it was doing the same thing with either lens, which indicated to me NOT A LENS issue but a camera issue

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@dsbarina wrote:

You can check, but I don't think Canon Service still repairs that len camera.  It ain't dead, yet, so a repair probably isn't worth it.  That money would be better spent on a body upgrade at this point.  I think the older Rebels were better built than the current ones.

Maybe I'm missing something, but do we even know what lens the OP is using? Actually, I think he said he changed lenses and the problem persisted.

LOL.  Senior moment.  I had meant to say camera, not lens.  That's what i get for not wearing my reading glasses, too.

Problem has be solved if any one has the same issue that the camera suddenly stops taking raw, and are on windows 10 check that an update has not unticked to show all file extensions

Announcements