cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON EOS 600D WITH STM 50MM F/,1.8

Jimbak
Apprentice

Hi i have Canon EOS 600d/T3i and i want to buy Canon 50mm f/1,8 STM will the len fits in my camera or not?

And the len have manual focus in video?

21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Any Canon lens with the letters 'EF' or 'EF-S' in its name will work with your camera.  As far as I know they all have MF.  I have not tried every single one but all the ones (and there has been many) have MF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 50mm STM lens does have an AF/MF switch, but the STM motor has some unique characteristics. The following cautions/instructions apply to all STM lenses. Ignore the zooming items for fixed focal length lenses.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Responding to John's post of the STM lens instruction sheet ...

1) I think I'm glad I read that before I bought any STM lenses.

2) The list of applicable cameras includes no FF bodies. That would seem to imply that there are no EF STM lenses. However, that's not true; there are a few listed on Canon's Web site. Does an STM lens behave differently on a FF camera?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Material I posted was from a T5i manual since they supply STM kit lens with Rebels.

The behavior is the same on an EF mount with the 50mm, which I have. I couldn't find a PDF of the 50mm instructions.

I guess it could be a limitation, but I instinctively wake the camera up if I put it to my eye, so I really haven't noticed anything awkward about using it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

This condition happens with USM lenses too.  Not simply STM lenses.

With my EF 85mm f1.2 L II, manual focus only works when attached to a camera that's turned on. No camera, or the camera is off, results in no manual focusing. You must be sure to set focus at infinity before you remove it from your camera if want the lens as short as possible.  Removed from the camera and the manual focus ring spins freely.

"The behavior is the same on an EF mount with the 50mm, which I have."

I was not aware that Canon has any STM lens in the 'EF' line?  Wrong, right?

EB

No camera, or the camera is off, results in no manual focusing.

Question: I'm not understanding this explanation.  What purpose or situation would one seek in focusing the lens when the camera is off????

You must be sure to set focus at infinity before you remove it from your camera if want the lens as short as possible

What's the purpose for doing this????    And does this apply to all lens or just STM???

"What purpose or situation would one seek in focusing the lens when the camera is off?"

The EF 85mm f1.2 L II extends about a 1/2 inch from close to infinity focus.  If you want it as short as possibile for storing, you must do so while on the camera.  You can not when it is removed.

I don't buy EF-S lenses as I have no camera anymore that can us one.  So I have not tried all of them.  I will guess, yes, it does.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
40mm pancake, 50mm f/1.8 & a 24-105mm zoom are EF mount with STM.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"40mm pancake, 50mm f/1.8 & a 24-105mm zoom are EF mount with STM."

OK, thanx, that explains it.  I would not even consider a "pancake' anything except for breakfest.   I also avoid any lens that is not a constant aperture, if possibile.  So that will also leave out the ef 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm because there is a constant aperture version availible.  Not that either are poor lenses, just not for me.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements