cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON EOS 550D

Amornardie
Apprentice
Hi Im new to photography. I have a canon eos 550d and I'm having a problem about autofocus.. When I set the AF switch on the lens the picture is blurred. And I switch to manual mode the focus ring is already to it's max.. I'm wondering should I turn the zoom ring so that the focus ring could better focus or is there a problem on my kit lens. I'm really confused if I can turn the zoom ring in AF mode without damaging the lens. If anyone help..
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Whic lens is giving you trouble?  What is the model number?  The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens, which came in camera kits when your camera was released, is known to have AF motors that are easily jammed.  

The lens lacks manual override in AF mode.  It is very easy to look through the viewfinder to change the zoom, but turn the focus ring, instead, which can dislodge and jam up the motors.  Remove the lens from the camera, and shake it.  Does it rattle?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you looked at the pictures on the screen when you take a picture in Auto Focus?

You might have to adjust the little dial near the viewfinder ("diopter adjustment") to adjust for your eyes.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...can (I) turn the zoom ring in AF mode without damaging the lens."

Yes.

Question, did it ever AF properly and this is just happening? It isn't a good idea to turn the fouce ring when the lens is trying to AF.  You can jam the gears. If you already did, try this........

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Try it now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements