cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built-in flash won't pop up

Snidely
Apprentice

After removing my 550EX flash from my T2i camera, my internal flash will not pop up.  When I go in to check flash settings for the built-in flash, I get this message:  "This menu cannot be displayed.  External flash is attached."  Has anyone had this problem and what can I do to get my internal flash to pop up again?

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Underneath the rails on your camera's hot-shoe there are some leaf-springs.  Below one of those leaf-springs is a microswitch.  When you slide an external flash onto the hot-shoe, it presses that switch down and that's how the camera knows there is an exetnal flash attached.  

This switch can get stuck.  Often times the leaf spring just needs to be teased up gently (e.g. use a toothpick or something and just gently nudge it back up.)

That will *usually* do the trick.

If you go to images.google.com and search for a term such as "canon hot shoe micro switch" you'll likely get lots of images showing the location of the switch and how to fix it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That was it!!  Thanks so much...I feel much better now that I know what to look for if it happens again.

Announcements