cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built in flash on my Rebel T5i is not working properly.

Tuffcookie
Contributor

I have had my Rebel T5i since about 2013.  A few weeks ago, I was taking some pictures inside a room with low lighting.  The camera was set on fully automatic mode, AF.  The pictures looked like they were taken with no flash.  Since then, I have practiced at home.  Even when I am as close as 3 feet to my subject, indoor pictures are dark, like the flash is not working.  I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE!  Now, this week, the local police department where I work, is having Safety Town.  I always take the pictures for this event.  The first couple of pictures, taken indoors (again on automatic) were on the darker side.  Thankfully, since I learned of the issues with the built in flash prior to this event, I was somewhat prepared and brought my external flash with me.  If not for that external flash, the indoor shots would have been too dark.  Needless to say, this is upsetting.  I should not be getting dark pictures, in automatic mode, AF, 3-4 feet away from the subject!  I would like to hear from someone at Canon, who can, literally, shed some light on what could be wrong?  And having to carry an external flash with me, all the time, is not a satisfactory solution!

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens are you using?  Can you post a sample of a “bad photo” with the EXIF data intact?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Tuffcookie wrote:

I have had my Rebel T5i since about 2013.  A few weeks ago, I was taking some pictures inside a room with low lighting.  The camera was set on fully automatic mode, AF.  The pictures looked like they were taken with no flash.  Since then, I have practiced at home.  Even when I am as close as 3 feet to my subject, indoor pictures are dark, like the flash is not working.  I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE!  Now, this week, the local police department where I work, is having Safety Town.  I always take the pictures for this event.  The first couple of pictures, taken indoors (again on automatic) were on the darker side.  Thankfully, since I learned of the issues with the built in flash prior to this event, I was somewhat prepared and brought my external flash with me.  If not for that external flash, the indoor shots would have been too dark.  Needless to say, this is upsetting.  I should not be getting dark pictures, in automatic mode, AF, 3-4 feet away from the subject!  I would like to hear from someone at Canon, who can, literally, shed some light on what could be wrong?  And having to carry an external flash with me, all the time, is not a satisfactory solution!

Your camera is 5 years old.

Flashes do burn out. 

If your flash pops up, but doesn't fire it may be burned out.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you seeing no flash at all when you trip the shutter? Do you have anything mounted in the hot shoe that would fool the camera into thinking there's an external flash attached? Is the little switch in the one side of the hot shoe sticking in the down position?

Screenshot(18).png

I'm home from work and tried taking a 10 sec timer photo on automatic setting.  The flash did not go off!  Where do I go from here?

Call Canon. They can walk you through it.

I contacted Canon and got instructions on mailing it into their repair center.  I have had various Canon cameras for 20 years but this is the 1st DSLR camera I have purchased.  Never have I had a built in flash unit burn out.  I certainly think it should last more than 5 years!  I will send my camera in next week and hope it is not too expensive to fix.

" I was somewhat prepared and brought my external flash with me."

Why mess with the inferior built-in if you have a much better option?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are alot of times when I want to lighten my load and just carry the basic camera.

I am very happy to report that James, from Canon support, contacted me by phone last Fri..  He went way over-board in helping me get my camera repaired.  It is back in my hands and the built-in flash was repaired.  Thank you James!  This is the reason I have been a Canon customer for over 20 years!

Announcements