cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built in flash malfunction

saffronica
Apprentice

I have a T5i that I just bought over the summer.

Just now it started doing something that I really do not like and I need to know what my next steps should be.

In any mode that uses the onboard flash

Using Auto-Focus

Using any and all lenses (kit lens, 50mm, and wide angle)

Press shutter halfway down to auto focus

Flash snaps up when subject is too dark -- however "too dark" now means a fully lit room.

When shutter is pressed halfway down the camera makes a sound like a shorted electrical wire (a "bzzt") and the flash flickers on for a second.

The display flashes BUSY

The camera does snap the photo after a delay with the flash.

But that "bzzt" sound adn the flash flicker is freaking me out.

I've read through the forums and tested it with all of my lenses, and in both AF and MF modes.

Doesn't do it in MF with any lens.

Doesn't do it in AF with live view/screen turned on, only when I use the viewfinder.

But it DOES do it with ALL lenses in AF.

And that electrical "bzzt" sound + the flash flickering is.... extremelyt unsettling.

I'm thinking it's an onboard issue with the body, but before I lose my camera for who knows how long for diagnostics and repairs I wanted to come here and see if anyone else has had the problem and if anyone knows of a fix.

Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

Thanks for your reply Bob.  I rarely, and I mean rarely, ever use my G10 in "Auto" mode.  As a matter of fact, the manual controls (Av, Tv, P, M) is specifically why I purchased the G10 in 2008.  And, I have used it with great success (indoors and outdoors).  However, I'm not sure I'm buying any "excuses" for the 77D not being able to "top" the functionality of the G10, regardless of sensor-size.  It's that type of "excuse" that got some Apple engineers fired when Steve Jobs ran the show at Apple, before his untimely death.  The 77D is a prosumer camera built almost a decade after the G10 - it should reflect a huge leap in performance in all modes, regardless of sensor size. And, for sure, it shouldn't take a step backwards and that appears to be what it has done.  It's one of those ugly sides of the coin that the marketers and salespeople just don't tell you when they hype their latest productions.  Consumers, you need to demand more from your purchases.  If you don't like something, return it!   Thanks again Bob for the input.

@pcdarcan wrote:

Thanks for your reply Bob.  I rarely, and I mean rarely, ever use my G10 in "Auto" mode.  As a matter of fact, the manual controls (Av, Tv, P, M) is specifically why I purchased the G10 in 2008.  And, I have used it with great success (indoors and outdoors).  However, I'm not sure I'm buying any "excuses" for the 77D not being able to "top" the functionality of the G10, regardless of sensor-size.  It's that type of "excuse" that got some Apple engineers fired when Steve Jobs ran the show at Apple, before his untimely death.  The 77D is a prosumer camera built almost a decade after the G10 - it should reflect a huge leap in performance in all modes, regardless of sensor size. And, for sure, it shouldn't take a step backwards and that appears to be what it has done.  It's one of those ugly sides of the coin that the marketers and salespeople just don't tell you when they hype their latest productions.  Consumers, you need to demand more from your purchases.  If you don't like something, return it!   Thanks again Bob for the input.

Are you using the viewfinder?  Or, are you holding the camera up, and using the LCD screen in Live View mode?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I'm using the view finder.  Why do you ask?

@pcdarcan wrote:

I will ignore that question.  The reason should be obvious.  Back to your problem, ...  ...  ...

If you have ExpSim enabled, how is the camera supposed to simulate the exposure in the viewfinder when you use a flash?

If "I" have ExpSim enabled?  You see, that is the problem.  I didn't enable anything.  So, why do you assume this?  The problem that I'm experiencing is understanding how looking through the viewfinder should be any different than if I use Liveview (outside of liveview using more battery consumption).  Can you clarify my confusion with this please?

@pcdarcan wrote:

If "I" have ExpSim enabled?  You see, that is the problem.  I didn't enable anything.  So, why do you assume this?  The problem that I'm experiencing is understanding how looking through the viewfinder should be any different than if I use Liveview (outside of liveview using more battery consumption).  Can you clarify my confusion with this please?

No problem.  Read the Instruction Manual.  You do not have to “enable” anything.  Ever heard of default settings from the factory?

Why is looking through the viewfinder different from Live View?  As I have already pointed out, the images are produced in two entirely different ways between the viewfinder and Live View.  Having ExpSim enabled adds a new wrinkle.

My turn.  I asked you a question.  I suggest that you at least TRY, to find the answer on your own.  Like I said, the difference should be obvious, especially in light of the fact that I have already answered my own question that I posed to you.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@pcdarcan wrote:

I will ignore that question.  The reason should be obvious.  Back to your problem, ...  ...  ...

If you have ExpSim enabled, how is the camera supposed to simulate the exposure in the viewfinder when you use a flash?

How can the camera simulate the exposure without firing the flash?  Because it cannot.  It is impossible.  Like I said, read the manual.

pcdarcan,

Just because your lens is listed at f/2.8, that does not mean that the camera will set the lens to f/2.8.  If fact, if the “focus assist” beam is firing, then it is likely that you are using one of the Basic shooting modes, and the camera is ignoring the wide aperture that is available for it to use.

The “buzzing” that you were hearing was most likely coming from the flash tube as it strobed at a high rate.  Strobes tend to make a soft “ping” sound when fired, which can sound like a buzz when the strobe is fired quickly, as during focus assist.

As far struggling to focus goes, there are two parts to that task: the camera and the lens.  It is the lens that actually achieves focus, but it does so under the control of the camera.  It is possible that your shooting mode, and AF point selection were the cause of your symptoms.  

While it is possible that you received a bad copy, I would look elsewhere besides laying all blame on the camera.  Did you go outside in the sunshine and try the camera?

@Waddizzle wrote:

pcdarcan,

Just because your lens is listed at f/2.8, that does not mean that the camera will set the lens to f/2.8.  If fact, if the “focus assist” beam is firing, then it is likely that you are using one of the Basic shooting modes, and the camera is ignoring the wide aperture that is available for it to use.

No, it will autofocus at f/2.8. It doesn't stop down to the chosen aperture, whether that aperture was chosen manually or automatically, until just before the exposure is made.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

pcdarcan,

No, it will autofocus at f/2.8. It doesn't stop down to the chosen aperture, whether that aperture was chosen manually or automatically, until just before the exposure is made.

I understand that.  But, the OP was comparing the operation of the 77D to a G10.  I suspect that the OP may have been using the Live View and the rear LCD screen to focus and shoot, mainly because the OP makes no mention of AF points.  With ExpSim enabled, the lens will stop down when it focuses.  I think the 77D was being used like a P&S camera.

I would not categorically rule out the Sigma lens, either.  I am not impressed with the big Sigma zooms I have used in low light.  The DG OS HSM system usually worked well in well lit conditions.  But, the lenses would hunt in low light, until I turned off the OS system.  Then, they would hunt less, but would at least manage to lock focus onto something, but not always what I wanted.

This post reminds me that I have yet to really test my 150-600 in bad light since I did the firmware update, which completely updated the focusing system.  The AF update turned it into a completely different lens, one that works very well.  I can use the OS system again.  It used to be that the AF and OS would get into a kind of tug of war.

Also, AI Servo Mode does not work well in conditions that require the AF Assist Beam.  In fact, it doesn’t seem to work.

Announcements