cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Rebel T6 problems

ryanisthefitz
Contributor

I was so enthusiastic to open my new 'full-size' Canon camera after using a small point and shoot for over a decade, only to find that it would not read the flash card that came with the camera bundle on Amazon.  The card is a Sandisk 32gb SDHC Class 10 48mb/s.  I cannot see any reason why this card should be incompatible with this camera.  The error message is that "Card cannot be accessed...." and when I try to format it, I get "Cannot format, change card".  I would most appreciate a pointer or two from someone else who has solved this problem.  

22 REPLIES 22

"... just buy the camera and lens combo..."

This is so true.  If you are within the return period, do so today.  You will never use the rest of that questionable 'stuff'.

Canon sells what is referred to as the 'kit'.  It is just the camera and a lens or perhaps two lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Great advice by Tom!

If anyone is ever in question about whether an online seller is an Authorized Canon Dealer (buying DIRECT from Amazon is safe), check THIS LIST

If you wind up with a refund on your purchase, I would suggest checking out Canon's online refurbished store.  You can get the camera and lens kit at a great price with a one year factory warranty.  I've bought bodies and lenses there, and all have been like new and worked perfectly.

Ditto !  Canon refurbs.  Smiley Very Happy

EB

I used to trust Amazon to stand behind their products. Until the other day I read a story of a guy being scammed for a $1,500 Canon 70-200 L lens. Long story short, Amazon just went with the scam and told the guy he wasn't getting a refund even though the scam sent a phony product to another address. 

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/11/fell-victim-1500-used-camera-lens-scam-amazon/

Others are having the same problem.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/new-amazon-delivery-scam-can-make-customer-claims-diffic...

When Amazon fixes their scamming problem with 3rd party vendors, then maybe I'll use them again.

Thanks again for the tips.  I'll double check about who the supplier is.  However, I did try a working card from my other camera and it does not work in the T6.  This makes me think the problem is in the camera.  Is there a chance I need a firmware update or something like that?  Would that help?

@ryanisthefitz wrote:

Thanks again for the tips.  I'll double check about who the supplier is.  However, I did try a working card from my other camera and it does not work in the T6.  This makes me think the problem is in the camera.  Is there a chance I need a firmware update or something like that?  Would that help?

Request a return ASAP!!!

Stop playing around trying to fix it, return it. There is something wrong with the camera.

If you are past the return period, did the camera come with the red and white Canon warrenty card? Does the serial number on the card match the camera?

I'm submitting it to Canon for repair.  The guy I talked to earlier was helpful and friendly, not to mention he agrees it is a camera problem and not a card problem.  Thank you all for your comments.  I have to say that I feel welcomed to this board and free to post knowing there are people on here who genuinely want to help.

"Stop playing around trying to fix it, return it. There is something wrong with the camera."

EB

@TTMartin wrote:

@ryanisthefitz wrote:

That's not the exact one but it is close.  Thank you for the reply.  The exact one I can't find right now as it was a birthday present.

Generally those kinds of bundles are a 'red flag'. The seller bundles a bunch of stuff that low quality and of little real world use. Those kinds of bundles on Amazon are from 3rd party sellers, not, Amazon themselves.

When buying from Amazon stick with those items that are 'Sold and Shipped by Amazon', that way you are ensured that it is being purchased from an Authorized Canon Dealer, which Amazon is.

If you are within the 30 day return period, I would go onto Amazon and request a return as not working / defective. When you get the credit from Amazon, just buy the camera and lens combo that is sold and shipped by Amazon. 

Same goes for the memory card, a 32gb Sandisk Ultra card is fine, just make sure it is sold and shipped by Amazon as there are counterfeit Sandisk cards being sold by disreputable dealers. 

That's good advice.

Better advice is not to buy anything more costly than a paperback novel from Amazon, IMHO.  Get a full refund.  Visit the Canon Online Store's Refurbished Cameras section.  If what you want is not in stock, then WAIT for it to return.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements