cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Rebel T5i says card is full when it is not full

filipv
Apprentice

Hi,

A week ago I bought a Rebel T5i, together with a Sony MicroSD 16 GB SDHC card.

I didn't fiddle with any settings.

My problem is that I cannot shoot more than 500 photos at a time, even though the 16GB memory card should store much, much much more.

No matter which format/size I choose (from the smallest S3 to L+RAW), when the image count comes up to 500 or so (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more!), I get Err 04.

When I open the card on the PC it says that almost all space is used (13.something GB), even though if I select the image files I get less than 1 GB.

So far I tried with smaller files, format card in camera and format card in PC (FAT32). The problem is still here.

Can it be the camera? Or, perhaps, the memory card is somehow faulty?

Thank you for your thoughts.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would suspect that the card is faulty. I guess that there are a bunch of bad sectors that report as "available" but are unable to be used.

Did you try to low-level format in the Camera?

You must be getting George Jetson syndrome. Your finger must be sore from pressing your shutter button a heck of a bunch of times to test this! 8^)

Did you try to low-level format in the Camera?

Yes, I low-level formatted it using both the camera and the PC ("quick format" unchecked)

You must be getting George Jetson syndrome. Your finger must be sore from pressing your shutter button a heck of a bunch of times to test this! 8^)

Actually, I'm using this "DSL Remote" software for Android to shoot timelapses - the Android device connects to the camera via USB and makes the camera take a picture once every few seconds. That's how I noticed this problem in the first place.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"A week ago I bought a Rebel T5i, together with a Sony MicroSD 16 GB SDHC card."

Get rid of the microSD card w/adapter, buy a regular size card, and all of your problems will likely go away. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Get rid of the microSD card w/adapter, buy a regular size card, and all of your problems will likely go away. 

Will try that, sir, but I worry: my old camera (T3i, got stolen) used to work with microSD+adapter without any problems whatsoever. I could have literaly thousands of JPEGs on it. Can the newer T5i be somehow more sensitive to adapters?

Why would the adapter be the problem? Is that a known issue that I haven't heard about? Thanks!

@filipv wrote:

Will try that, sir, but I worry: my old camera (T3i, got stolen) used to work with microSD+adapter without any problems whatsoever. I could have literaly thousands of JPEGs on it. Can the newer T5i be somehow more sensitive to adapters?

Why would the adapter be the problem? Is that a known issue that I haven't heard about? Thanks!

I would say that you got lucky with your T3i, at least until it was stolen.  Sorry, to hear that.  Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

The connection between card to adapter to electronic device are notorious for being intermittent.  You must have gotten really lucky with your adapter.  I'd bet that you probably never removed it once you installed.  Far more times than not, people have problems with the adapters.  Unless you have a device that uses the microSD cards directly, it is best to avoid the microSD cards w/adapters altogether.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

I don't suppose it is possible the camera is set to take RAW + JPG, so you are making 2 files for each shot?

Try resetting all camera settings to default in the Menu.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Ditch the micro adapter and SD card. That is the problem.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements