cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new EOS Rebel T6 won't take pictures or show display

caitlinc
Apprentice

I have a brand new EOS Rebel T6 that has suddenly stopped working. I have charged the battery and replaced the SD card. When I turn the camera on I see the little red light flash indicating power, but the screen does not light up. When I try to take a photo, the lens attempts to focus but will not shoot. I have tried taking the lens on and off and I have tried shooting in MF but no luck.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If it is brand new I would suggest a visit to the camera store (with all the packaging etc.) and talk to them.  If it was bought on line I would call their support people - that should be in the documentation from them.  As long as it was bought from a reputable dealer you can contact Canon and have them trouble shoot / fix / replace it under warranty.

Hopefully you have kept all your purchase  documentation.

cheers:  Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a brand new EOS Rebel T6 that has suddenly stopped working."

I agree with the first reply but hold on for a moment.  "...suddenly stopped working.", indicates to me that at some point it did in fact work? This also means you could have pressed a button or set something incorrectly and don't know you did.  So, first off reset the camera in the menus under tools clear all settings and all custom settings.

If this restores the Rebel to working condition forget the above reply.  If it did not, than do as the first reply suggests. Hint, if it did work, spend some quality time with the Rebel manual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB has a wise suggestion... but  fom the OP's comments I am not sure if there is any screen display at all...  If not then the menus will not be visible.

As I recall there is a possible method for resetting the camera when you cannot see the menus

- taking out the battery and card turning on and pressing the shutter???

or something like that.  EB will almost certainly monitor this and as an old hand he will most likely give us the right procedure.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The more recent Rebel series cameras do not have memory batteries that are user accessible, so there is no means of resetting the camera without the menus that I know of.  But I am not a Rebel expert. . I have heard that leaving the main battery out for an extended (long time probably months) period of time will do it. If you have to re-enter the date/time it did reset. If you don't, it did not reset.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So I guess the answer is:

a) If you have access to the menus, definitely follow EB's advice about resetting the camera.

b) If you don't have access to the menus, or plan a) does not resolve your issue, go back to the supplier or contact Canon support.

cheers, TREVOR

This is all the manual says about resetting the date-time battery 

The date/time/zone settings may be reset in the following cases. If this
happens, set the date/time/zone again.
• When the camera is stored without the battery.
• When the camera's battery becomes exhausted.
• When the camera is exposed to below-freezing temperatures for a
prolonged period.

Announcements