Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Bought my first DSLR and need help! (video setting for t6)

So I just bought the canon rebel t6, upgraded from my Sony a5000. I am wanting to make videos with this camera but I'm having trouble with the focusing. It doesn't auto focus does it? For example when I hold up an item in front of the camera it will not auto focus on that. Idk if there's a trick to it or if I'm just stuck using the focus ring for it. My Sony would auto focus so it's just a huge change for me lol. Any help or information would be much appreciated, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Bought my first DSLR and need help! (video setting for t6)

Have you read the manual on shooting video?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
VIP

[ Edited ]

@Katybeewebb wrote:

So I just bought the canon rebel t6, upgraded from my Sony a5000. I am wanting to make videos with this camera but I'm having trouble with the focusing. It doesn't auto focus does it? For example when I hold up an item in front of the camera it will not auto focus on that. Idk if there's a trick to it or if I'm just stuck using the focus ring for it. My Sony would auto focus so it's just a huge change for me lol. Any help or information would be much appreciated, thanks!

The T6 is Canon's bottom rung, entry level DSLR.  The camera can auto-focus when shooting stills, but it lacks the ability to auto-focus at real time when shooting video.  One reason for this behavior is that the AF system for shooting stills is a completely separate [and costly] circuit from AF circuitry needed for shooting video.  

To keep the cost down on their entry level DSLR, Canon engineers made a design decision to keep the DSLR simple, and reduce costs, by giving it only on AF system.  Why a camera needs separate AF systems for stills and videos is a story for another day, but that is why the T6 cannot auto-focus while shooting video.  It's a bare bones, introductory DSLR, designed to teach you about how they work.  More costly DSLRs are pretty complicated, which many users never fully master or discover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Product Expert

Hi Katybeewebb,

Thanks for posting.

While this camera cannot continuously focus, you may focus before you start shooting a movie and during the movie. Here's how:

Turn your camera on, switch the MODE Dial to "Movie", then press the MENU button. You'll see the first movie tab (Movie camera icon with 1 dot). Scroll down to AF w/ shutter button during movie (movie camera icon), then press the SET button. On the next screen, if it's not already set, please choose "Enable".

With AF w/ shutter button during movie, when you press the shutter release button halfway down while shooting a movie, your camera will refocus.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.