cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry when using eye focusing

Eddiebeginner
Apprentice
Hello,
We recently droped our canon 600d camera on a floor and since then is something wrong.
On lcd screen focusing as normal, but when i am using my eye to focus is blurry. Please can you help me? Is it easy to fix or i should tike to someone to repair.

Thanks a milion!!!!
16 REPLIES 16

StanNH
Rising Star

Did you check the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder?  It may have just moved when the camera was dropped.

2017-07-17 (2).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes I'll bet the little diopter adjustment wheel on the eyepiece got flicked in the confusion. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Eddiebeginner
Apprentice
Thank you for quick respond. I checked that, i think is probably domething internal got loose or something.

If you are truly unable to dial in a clear view by slowly rolling the diopter wheel all the way through its range of motion while looking thru the eyepiece maybe your focus screen popped partly out.  That is the delicate little thing above the mirror. YouTube can show you how it is removed and replaced so you see where and what it is. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

If you are truly unable to dial in a clear view by slowly rolling the diopter wheel all the way through its range of motion while looking thru the eyepiece maybe your focus screen popped partly out.  That is the delicate little thing above the mirror. YouTube can show you how it is removed and replaced so you see where and what it is. 

Dropping the camera is very unlikely to have affected the diopter wheel and much more likely to have dislodged the focus screen. Does the camera autofocus correctly in viewfinder mode? If it doesn't, the diopter wheel isn't the issue. The diopter wheel has no effect on autofocus.

Eddie, unless you're an experienced camera repairer, I don't think you should try to re-seat a dislodged focus screen yourself. "Delicate" is the operative word in Scott's explanation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston is giving sound advice.

If, in fact, it is a dislodged focusing screen (which it very well could be), this is something only a qualified Canon Factory Service technician should repair, as they are not user-servicable on Rebel (EOS XXD) model cameras. 

At this point, we think it's a good idea to get in touch with technical support. If you're here in the USA, call 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) anytime from 8am to Midnight (ET) during the week, or from 10am to 8pm on Saturdays. 

If you're outside the USA, CLICK HERE to select your country or region. You'll find support/contact options from there! 

I am having trouble focusing through the view finder and I am not satisfied with the sharpness of my pictures. This applies to multiple lens and shots. I have obtained a +2 eye piece but still unable to get a sharp image through the finder.  My question is how do you determine which eye piece is correct with out trying each one. Is it based on magnification or something else.Thank you in advance

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I, too, think it is a mis-adjusted diopter,  However, if the camera equipped adjustment wheel doesn't work there is a add-on accessory to increase the range.  Some of us need that extra.........help.  Check out the Canon Dioptric Adjustment Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements