cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry Shots in a Gymnasium

ClaudineMJ
Apprentice

I've noticed that anytime I take pictures in the gymnasium the photos come out very blurry. I've tried different lenses and sport setting (my son plays basketball). If I put it on automatic then it uses the flash and the photos are a little dark. Any help is so appreciated.

Claudine

5 REPLIES 5

Crista
Whiz

Hi ClaudineMJ!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what model camera and lens you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Thanks!

Skirball
Authority

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The cause is not enough light.  It is an issue with a fast moving subject without enough light on it. 

The solution is not in the green square on the camera.  In fact that is probably the worse option to choose.

Plus most sporting events don't allow flash.

You need one or both of these options.  A faster, higher number ISO setting.  For example an ISO of 1600, or more.

Second and probably the best oprion is faster lenses.  I am guessing you have the kit lens(s) on a Rebel?

If ture any lens with a constant f2.8 aperture will help a great deal.  Your kit lens(s) quickly fall into the f5.6 area.  Not too good as you have experienced.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

A low focal ratio lens will help... but they aren't cheap.  

For example... a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens can offer f/2.8 forcal ratio throughout the entire zoom range, where as, say, a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens is already at f/5.6 long before the 200mm focal length.  f/2.8 collects literally four times more light as compared to f/5.6... so it's quite a difference.  It means you could shoot using a faster shutter speed (specifically 1/4th as long) to get the same shot, but that difference in shutter speed may make the difference between a blurry shot and a clean shot.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that f/2.8 zoom lenses aren't cheap.  But there is a reason sports photographers buy these better lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

BillyJack
Contributor

Claudine, this image was shot with exactly the setup Mr. Campbell was refering to. A Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 on a T5i with a setting of: Shutter-1/250  ISO-3200  F/2.8. You can buy the after market or used lens for around $1250. A new Canon is regularly $2500

VBall

Announcements