cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blown out pictures

rql49
Contributor
I have a canon 4ti. When it is in auto mode or any other mode the pictures are over exposed. In the other modes I have to adjust the to have it under exposed by 2 or 3 stops. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I have cleared all the functions.
18 REPLIES 18

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rql49,

That definitely sounds like odd behavior in the auto mode, the first thing I would look into is the lens. Do you have a second lens you can try to see if the problem happens across all lenses? If it doesn't happen on other lenses you may want to look into repair or upgrading the lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have to adjust the _____________ to have it under exposed by 2 or 3 stops." 

You have to adjust, what exactly? Their are two places to reset the T4i, you did both? You need to try a different lens, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rql49
Contributor
The exposures.What are the 2 places

"... What are the 2 places..."

There is 'clear all settings' and 'clear all custom settings'. You need to do both.

"The exposures...."

Yeah, I gathered that but how did you change the exposure?

EB

rql49
Contributor
I switched the lenses and still having the same issues.

"I switched the lenses and still having the same issues."

OK now you know it isn't the lenses and probably it is the camera.  Perhaps, though, it is you? Smiley Wink

EB

rql49
Contributor
By the exposure comp./ABE setting

"...ABE setting"

Yeah, that isn't the place to do exposure settings.

Auto Exposure Bracketing shooting is where you can set your camera so that the shutter speed and aperture value are changed automatically to capture three successive shots with different exposure (bracketing) settings. Say a  +/-2-stops in 1/3-stop increments for example.

You need to put that back to zero.  If you fully reset your camera it went back to zero. So if you still have it active, you didi not reset the camera.

EB

Here is what you need to do.

Nice sunny day. Go outside put the camera on "P" mode. Set the ISO to 200 fixed, no auto ISO. WB set to daylight.  Take a few shots. If it works, it works and the problem is elsewhere, like AEB.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements