cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black pictures on Canon EOS 400D

bmwagner
Contributor
I recently bought this camera for very little on eBay because it was broken. I was able to replace the fuse and repair it but now when I take a picture it comes out black. In case you're wondering, yes I have the lens cover off. I have tried taking pictures with and without the lens but with no luck. I can see the shutter blades opening, just hoping it's not a bad sensor.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

(replace the fuse?) If you can see the shutter going then it is not that or the mirror.

The only thing to try is resetting the camera.

bmwagner
Contributor
The power board has a tiny fuse on it which was causing the camera to not power on at all. I basically went around it by using a wire soldered on both sides of it. By resetting do you mean to take out both batteries?

Yes, and there is often a menu setting to in the "wrench" menus to perform a reset. I assume the LCD works OK.

@bmwagner wrote:
The power board has a tiny fuse on it which was causing the camera to not power on at all. I basically went around it by using a wire soldered on both sides of it. By resetting do you mean to take out both batteries?

You bypassed the fuse?  Not good.  Fuses blow for good reasons.  Whatever caused the fuse to blow, which the fuse circuit was designed to protect, has probably just burnt itself out.  I suspect that you smoked it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bmwagner
Contributor
LCD is good I'll give it a shot

bmwagner
Contributor
Eh I'm only out the $30 I put into this camera. It's currently better off than it was when I bought it off eBay last week.

bmwagner
Contributor
I'm 90% sure it went out because of a small screw bouncing around inside. All the screws are tight so there's nothing to bounce around and short stuff out anymore. The screw I think shorted out wasn't even in the camera when I opened it up so I think whoever had it before knew that screw shorted out what they weren't crazy enough to short-circuit the fuse like I did.
Announcements