cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black back screen

benbotto
Contributor

Hi, I have just purchased a 75mm-300mm zoom lenze. When I switched to manual settings both on camera and lenze the back screen turned black with nothing showing at all, I took several shots and they all turned black as well. I did remove the lenze cover which would be an obvious error. I have obviously, accidently, done something to make this hapen but I know not what. I am a newby to photography so if anyone can suggest a solution to this problem I will be more than greatful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Mike, I have somehow sorted this problem, I think it was something to do with A.E.B.setting. I canceled this item which was set to take HDR photos and that seems to have done the trick. Mind you I tried so many things it could have been any one of them. I will keep buggering on with the technicalities of photography and hope that I improve before I leave this mortal coil. Thank's once again for all your help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Can you see light through the lens when you look through it?

If it is only with the manual settings, try taking an image in green square mode, and note the Aperture, shutter and ISO. Switch to Manual and repeat those settings. The exposure should be the same.

Hi KV, I am not having any luck with this problem, although I have a feeling I may have the answer. Before I tried my new zoom Lenz I had my camera set for HDR it is still on that setting, can you advise how I can remove the Expo.comp./AEB setting, (my camera is the EOS1300D) and see if that solves the problem? I tried the green square mode but the result was the same.

Can you see through the viewfinder with the lens attached?

HDR is not AEB. I suggest you just reset the camera settings. It should be in one of the menus.

Yes, I can see through the viewfinder with the Lenz attached. The Lenz is the EF.

When you put your other lens back on does the camera work properly with the same settings?

What mode did you have the camera in, and what were the settings?  

If you have the camera in Manual mode with the wrong settings,  the photo will be black because the exposure is too dark, and the rear LCD will also be black because it is simulating the dark exposure you have set.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike, I have somehow sorted this problem, I think it was something to do with A.E.B.setting. I canceled this item which was set to take HDR photos and that seems to have done the trick. Mind you I tried so many things it could have been any one of them. I will keep buggering on with the technicalities of photography and hope that I improve before I leave this mortal coil. Thank's once again for all your help.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It sounds like you are set to a very high F stop (and probably shutter speed also) or your lens isn't communicating properly with the camera and is stepping down too far for the actual photograph.

The lens aperture is set wide open until the photo is taken (for focusing, scene composing, etc.) so the viewfinder would appear normal but the photograph would come out heavily underexposed.

What does the exposure meter in the viewfinder show as you are composing/focusing?  What happens to your view through the viewfinder when you press the DoF (depth of field) preview button?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@benbotto wrote:

Hi, I have just purchased a 75mm-300mm zoom lenze. When I switched to manual settings both on camera and lenze the back screen turned black with nothing showing at all.....................

Do not use Manual mode. Switch to program mode and see if that fixes your problem. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements