cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lens for T4i for shooting at night with bright lights?

sambo613
Apprentice

I am looking for a lens for my Canon Rebel T4i. I am a news photographer and I shoot fire, police, and ambulance scenes at night where there are flashing lights like this: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/15157183675_9500a2f415_b.jpg. My current lens is coming out blurry at times and overall quality is not good. I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars on it, but nothing really expensive. 

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello sambo613,

The lens that you would want would be one with a larger aperture that will allow more light into the camera.  One of the more budget friendly lenses that you might want to look into would be the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM or the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.  Either of these will feature a larger aperture value than what comes with the stock kit lens. 

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EF 50mm f/1.4 USM 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Also besides buying a faster lens, you need to use a higher ISO number.  That photo you refferenced is shot at a high ISO. Even though the EXIF was deleted, you can see some prominent grainyness.

BTW, go with the EF 50mm f1.4

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements