cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery won't charge fully

jasjotbains
Apprentice
I have a canon 1300D purchased in 2019. It's been rarely used apart from a few occasions. A few days back, I accidentally left the camera in ON position (LCD etc were all off) for 3 days. On taking the camera out, the battery was almost out of charge. However, when I try to recharge it, the orange charging light turns to green pretty quickly (max 10 mins). On inserting the battery into the camera, the battery status is still at the last level/blank level. Kindly advise. There is no physical deformation in the battery
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

How to "fix" if its possible.

Charge the battery fully.

Allow the battery to fully discharge (use normally) until depleted

Charge the battery fully again

Allow to fully diischarge (use normally) until depleted 

Charge fully again.  At that point, if the battery was not permanently damaged and is salvageble, it should be at or near what its full capacity once was.  

If not, the battery has failed and will need to be replaced.

This process has many names.  "Recalibration", "exercising", "cycling" etc.  Moral, don't leave batteries inside the camera if you don't plan to use it after a week or more.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority

From batteryuniversity.com:
"Lithium-ion should not be discharged below 2.50V/cell. The protection circuit turns off and most chargers will not charge the battery in that state. A “boost” program applying a gentle charge current to wake up the protection circuit often restores the battery to full capacity.

There are reasons why Li-ion is put to sleep when discharging below 2.50V/cell. Copper dendrites grow if the cell is allowed to dwell in a low-voltage state for longer than a week. This results in elevated self-discharge, which could compromise safety."

jasjotbains
Apprentice
Thanks for the details. However, I am still unsure as to what to do to get the battery running again. It's operating at bare minimum level as of now

Greetings,

How to "fix" if its possible.

Charge the battery fully.

Allow the battery to fully discharge (use normally) until depleted

Charge the battery fully again

Allow to fully diischarge (use normally) until depleted 

Charge fully again.  At that point, if the battery was not permanently damaged and is salvageble, it should be at or near what its full capacity once was.  

If not, the battery has failed and will need to be replaced.

This process has many names.  "Recalibration", "exercising", "cycling" etc.  Moral, don't leave batteries inside the camera if you don't plan to use it after a week or more.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried and it seems the battery is working better now. Hopefully it'll retain the charge and work without a hitch. I will make sure I remove the battery and store it safely (and separately) since I dont use my camera every week.Thanks !

" A few days back, I accidentally left the camera in ON position (LCD etc were all off) for 3 days."

Double check your settings. There is an Auto OFF timer in the menu.

Screenshot 2021-01-10 114952.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority

I have done the same with LP-E6 and followed this tutorial https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/adv-batt-charger...

A third-party charger may also be an idea, just to boost the battery above 3 V.

Announcements