cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery not showing as fully charged

JudyBear
Contributor

When I charge the batteries for my RebelT3i, then install them in the camera, the charge level shows at the reduced level.  Turns on fine, takes great pictures, but shows low in a few minutes.  Help....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Judy, what I have read is that you have 4 batteries, 2 of them are new and all four show the same level of charge when placed in the camera and that charge level is less than full. That tells me you either have a bad charger or there is something wrong with the camera. Look at the battery contacts inside the camera, clean them with a q-tip and alcohol.

If that does not help then replace the charger with Canon if possible and purchase it from a store that will accept a return in case the charger does not solve your problem.

Forget about repairing the camera, it would cost twice as much as the camera is worth. If you want to stick to the same model then buy a used working one also from someone or someplace that accepts returns.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Not so fast, it looks like a difference in opinion. One expert says it doesn't help and another says it does.  I doubt seriously many folks will put their battery is a plastic bag with a silica packet. So, even if it did help, how many would do that?

Duracell says, "We recommend storing batteries at room temperature in a dry environment. Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance. ... refrigeration is not necessary or recommended."

Energizer say, "DO practice proper battery storage by keeping batteries in a cool, dry place at normal room temperature. It’s not necessary to store batteries in a refrigerator."

Snopes say, "1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH)."

It is something I have never done. It is something I don't see as a problem. It is also something I will still not recommend people do. I suspect Canon Europe needs to update it's web page because current batteries are not the same as they used to be.

Is your source USA Today and the article about alkaline, NiMH and single-use lithium batteries? 2nd generation NiMH may decrease to 85% after one year but will after one charge cycle recover almost its full capacity. No point storing 2nd generation of NiMH in cold environment.

Seems again we are talking about two different things.

"Seems again we are talking about two different things."

OK, even so, but I do not agree with you, "I doubt seriously many folks will put their battery is a plastic bag with a silica packet. So, even if it did help, how many would do that?"

Battery chemicals are battery chemicals. The biggest battery makers recommend room temperature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I can find nothing on the Canon USA web site advising storing batteries in a plastic bag with a silica gel in the freezer or refrigerator. 

Nikon says, "Store the battery in a cool, dry place (room temperature). Replace the terminal cover before putting the battery away."

EB

Peter
Authority
Authority
Why not just do what I wrote before? Take a look at Battery University about Li-ion. It should be easier for you to read the articles than it was for me. If you have more questions after that you are welcome tomorrow and in a new thread.

Peter it is just something two gentlemen have a difference of opinion on. Both of us are free to do as we see fit.  It seems you have a source that confirms your idea and I think I have an overwhelming amount of advice form several of the biggest battery makers and Canon USA and Nikon that differs.

I have never stored batteries in the freezer or fridge and don't intend to.  It has worked for me. Plus I still doubt you are going to convince many folks to put their batteries in a plastic bag with silica gel and keep them in the fridge. Take them out of the fridge let them warm up to room temperature before use. You know low temps reduce the output of even Canon batteries. 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Peter it is just something two gentlemen have a difference of opinion on. Both of us are free to do as we see fit.  It seems you have a source that confirms your idea and I think I have an overwhelming amount of advice form several of the biggest battery makers and Canon USA and Nikon that differs.

I have never stored batteries in the freezer or fridge and don't intend to.  It has worked for me. Plus I still doubt you are going to convince many folks to put their batteries in a plastic bag with silica gel and keep them in the fridge. Take them out of the fridge let them warm up to room temperature before use. You know low temps reduce the output of even Canon batteries. 

1. No one but you has talked about freezer.

2. The topic has been Li-ion. You have talked about everything else.

3. No one has talked about the fridge as an everyday use. This is for storing during months or years.

4. You have learned something new about Li-ion. Be happy with the new knowledge you gained instead.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Fine, Peter thank you.
EB

FYI, as long as the discussion is about batteries, I recently bought 2 spare genuine Canon batteries for my Canon SL2. I bought them from B&H Photo in NYC. The B&H price was significantly lower than Amazon's price for genuine Canon batteries and shipping was free!

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

I am curious, are you storing them in the refrigerator? Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am curious, are you storing them in the refrigerator? Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very HappyNo, they're in my camera bag! Smiley Very Happy

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
Announcements