cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery not showing as fully charged

JudyBear
Contributor

When I charge the batteries for my RebelT3i, then install them in the camera, the charge level shows at the reduced level.  Turns on fine, takes great pictures, but shows low in a few minutes.  Help....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Judy, what I have read is that you have 4 batteries, 2 of them are new and all four show the same level of charge when placed in the camera and that charge level is less than full. That tells me you either have a bad charger or there is something wrong with the camera. Look at the battery contacts inside the camera, clean them with a q-tip and alcohol.

If that does not help then replace the charger with Canon if possible and purchase it from a store that will accept a return in case the charger does not solve your problem.

Forget about repairing the camera, it would cost twice as much as the camera is worth. If you want to stick to the same model then buy a used working one also from someone or someplace that accepts returns.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

@JudyBear wrote:

I just bought 2 new ones, and have 2 that came with the camera.  All batteries show the same level of charge when I put them in the camera.  I am baffled...

Are of these batteries made by Canon?  The third party batteries can be unreliable, and nearly all of them do not last as long as the genuine Canon batteries.  

Is your battery charger made by Canon?  They have been known to fail, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Does Canon even make their own batteries anymore?  I can't seem to find them online anywhere?

Judy, what I have read is that you have 4 batteries, 2 of them are new and all four show the same level of charge when placed in the camera and that charge level is less than full. That tells me you either have a bad charger or there is something wrong with the camera. Look at the battery contacts inside the camera, clean them with a q-tip and alcohol.

If that does not help then replace the charger with Canon if possible and purchase it from a store that will accept a return in case the charger does not solve your problem.

Forget about repairing the camera, it would cost twice as much as the camera is worth. If you want to stick to the same model then buy a used working one also from someone or someplace that accepts returns.

Thank you for the imput everyone.  Concensus is that I may have a faulty battery charges, or an older camera that may not be reflecting accurate info from the battery.  I will follow up with Canon directly about a Canon charger.  Thanks again for the thoughtful responses and efforts to help me get to the root of the problem.

@JudyBear wrote:

Does Canon even make their own batteries anymore?  I can't seem to find them online anywhere?

I buy my Canon accessories from the NYC superstore B&H.  There is a second NYC superstore named Adorama, which is not quite as big.  I always use B&H.  They have great service, and I have never had reason to shop across the street.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I just bought 2 new ones, and have 2 that came with the camera.  ...  I am baffled..."

The other component in this chain is the charger. BTW, you did buy genuine Canon batteries and not off brand look alike?

If a new Canon battery and new Canon charger AND resetting the camera back to default does not work, I suspect you are better off looking for a new camera. You may be better off right now and just start shopping for a new camera. Just give it a thought or two.

You might want to contact Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

How do I reset to default settings?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
So am I. Do you have an advisement from Canon that recommends storing in a refrigerator?
EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:
So am I. Do you have an advisement from Canon that recommends storing in a refrigerator?

I do. From Canon Europe:

Research has shown that the ageing effect is increased by temperature, so the hotter your battery becomes, the shorter its active life will be. Storing your battery in a refrigerator will extend its active life – just put it in a sealed plastic bag along with a sachet of silica gel to absorb any moisture. It will still discharge over time, but at a much slower rate than if stored at a higher temperature. 

Seems we can put this one behind us now. Also check out Battery University when you have the time. Not only information about Li-ion and how to calibrate a smart battery (and why it is needed) but also information about charging NiMH and NiCd for us who use NiMH in our Speedlites.

Not so fast, it looks like a difference in opinion. One expert says it doesn't help and another says it does.  I doubt seriously many folks will put their battery is a plastic bag with a silica packet. So, even if it did help, how many would do that?

Duracell says, "We recommend storing batteries at room temperature in a dry environment. Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance. ... refrigeration is not necessary or recommended."

Energizer say, "DO practice proper battery storage by keeping batteries in a cool, dry place at normal room temperature. It’s not necessary to store batteries in a refrigerator."

Snopes say, "1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH)."

It is something I have never done. It is something I don't see as a problem. It is also something I will still not recommend people do. I suspect Canon Europe needs to update it's web page because current batteries are not the same as they used to be.

EB
Announcements