cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery not showing as fully charged

JudyBear
Contributor

When I charge the batteries for my RebelT3i, then install them in the camera, the charge level shows at the reduced level.  Turns on fine, takes great pictures, but shows low in a few minutes.  Help....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Judy, what I have read is that you have 4 batteries, 2 of them are new and all four show the same level of charge when placed in the camera and that charge level is less than full. That tells me you either have a bad charger or there is something wrong with the camera. Look at the battery contacts inside the camera, clean them with a q-tip and alcohol.

If that does not help then replace the charger with Canon if possible and purchase it from a store that will accept a return in case the charger does not solve your problem.

Forget about repairing the camera, it would cost twice as much as the camera is worth. If you want to stick to the same model then buy a used working one also from someone or someplace that accepts returns.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Peter
Authority
Authority

Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at 25 degrees Celsius is 80% when charged to 100%.

If you haven't stored the batteries charged to 40-60% in a refrigerator and you bought the batteries when your camera was new I would say it is time to buy new ones.

By performing a full discharge/charge you calibrate the battery indicator. Not recommend to do often.

How do I perform a full discharge to reset the indicator.  I was given the camera, so I don't know if that has been done previously.  Thank you for the reply, I am eager to learn all I can about this camera.

"How do I perform a full discharge to reset the indicator."

You can't on a T3i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@JudyBear wrote:

How do I perform a full discharge to reset the indicator.  I was given the camera, so I don't know if that has been done previously.  Thank you for the reply, I am eager to learn all I can about this camera.

You let it down to 0% and then charge it. Wait 20 minutes to let it cool down first before you charge it and calibrate the battery.

@Peter wrote:

@JudyBear wrote:

You let it down to 0% and then charge it. Wait 20 minutes to let it cool down first before you charge it and calibrate the battery.

Letting a local camera shop take a look at it sounds easier.  They might be able to check out the charger, if they sell used gear.  And, looking to retire the hand-me-down camera body sounds like a lot easier, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"If you haven't stored the batteries ... in a refrigerator ... I would say it is time to buy new ones."

You are correct it might be time for new batteries but the fridge is a myth. The answer from battery makers is uniform and unequivocal. What battery makers recommend is storing at "room temperature," they generally mean between 68-78°F.

"That's a long-held myth, and the answer is no," says Tom Van Voy of Panasonic Energy Corp. of America. 

All the major brands recommend a clean, dry, room-temperature environment. When stored properly, the discharge rate ... is negligible – only about 3% per year. ... lithium batteries lose even less."  

Rechargeable batteries are likely the main reason people store batteries in the refrigerator. Up until a decade ago, rechargeable battery life was pretty terrible and refrigerators was a recourse.   Storing of rechargeable batteries in the refrigerator, or even the freezer, was a way of slowing rapid loss.  Fortunately, there have been significant improvements in rechargeable batteries.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"If you haven't stored the batteries ... in a refrigerator ... I would say it is time to buy new ones."

You are correct it might be time for new batteries but the fridge is a myth. The answer from battery makers is uniform and unequivocal. What battery makers recommend is storing at "room temperature," they generally mean between 68-78°F.

"That's a long-held myth, and the answer is no," says Tom Van Voy of Panasonic Energy Corp. of America. 

All the major brands recommend a clean, dry, room-temperature environment. When stored properly, the discharge rate ... is negligible – only about 3% per year. ... lithium batteries lose even less."  

Rechargeable batteries are likely the main reason people store batteries in the refrigerator. Up until a decade ago, rechargeable battery life was pretty terrible and refrigerators was a recourse.   Storing of rechargeable batteries in the refrigerator, or even the freezer, was a way of slowing rapid loss.  Fortunately, there have been significant improvements in rechargeable batteries.

Seems we are talking about two different things. I am talking about estimated recoverable capacity.

Screenshot_20200713-201446.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JudyBear wrote:

When I charge the batteries for my RebelT3i, then install them in the camera, the charge level shows at the reduced level.  Turns on fine, takes great pictures, but shows low in a few minutes.  Help....

The average life expectancy of most batteries is 5 years.  How old is yours?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just bought 2 new ones, and have 2 that came with the camera.  All batteries show the same level of charge when I put them in the camera.  I am baffled...

Announcements