cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drains when I leave my T5i in "on" position--stand by mode obviously no longer working

JoanneYenn
Contributor

I've just encountered a problem that is puzzling me. I've had my T5i for about 8 months now, and it was working well. Just last week I noticed that if I do not turn the camera off when I am done using it for a while,  it doesn't go into stand by mode (as it used to) and my batteries are drained when I pull it out of the bag for another shoot.

I am using fresh Canon batteries so they are not the problem. Again, this only started to develop a week ago, but because I am a travel writer and often forget to turn off the camera when I am going from scene to scene, this is so very annoying. I've missed some great photos because I have to change the battery!

I don't recall changing any setting. Should I go through the hassle of sending back the camera for service, or is there a simple fix?  Thank you for any advice you can give me.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

firts thing to check is if the Auto power off setting (two dot yellow wrench) or the image review timer (one dot red camera) settings got switched.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your prompt response. I don't know how it happened, but I indeed disabled the auto power function you described. I switched it on, and no more battery drain. I am so appreciative of your taking the time and trouble to help me! Thank you again.

Glad to be of help.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements