cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Button Focus vs Speedlight Auto Shutoff

rhodesmk
Contributor

I set the "star" button on my Rebel T3i to use as my back-button focus. Now that I'm discovering/experimenting with flash photography, the directions from my owners manual state "To cancel the slave unti's auto power off, press the camera's <*> button."

Is there an alternative? Right now, if I press this star button, I'm focusing, and I don't see this canceling the Speedlight's auto power off function. 

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rhodesmk wrote:

I set the "star" button on my Rebel T3i to use as my back-button focus. Now that I'm discovering/experimenting with flash photography, the directions from my owners manual state "To cancel the slave unti's auto power off, press the camera's <*> button."

Is there an alternative? Right now, if I press this star button, I'm focusing, and I don't see this canceling the Speedlight's auto power off function. 

Thanks! 

Which model of Canon flash?  Depending on the AF mode and shooting mode, you should be able to press the shutter and get the same result.

Do you understand the nomenclature used to describe how the buttons are programmed?  It works like this.  See the slash?  Look at how the button programming options are written.

[Function 1 / Function 2 ]

The ‘Function 1” describes what happens when you press the Shutter, while “Function 2” describes what happens when you press [*] button.  

Look at the function for the default behavior, Option 0, I think it is.  By default, the [*] button is programmed for {AE Lock}.  Your BBF programming now puts [AE Lock] on the shutter.  Either way, either the shutter or the [*] button should do what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My Speedlight model is a 430 EX II. 

It sounds like you are saying that since I assinged the "star" button to Back Button Focus, that now the shutter button will take over the speedlight auto shutoff function. 

Did I understand you correctly? 

I am not near my camera today, so will check this out later this week, just wanted to make sure I understood you first. 

Thanks, 

Tim
Authority

Hello Rohdesmk, 

The shutter button will keep the Speedlite from auto powering off, because it's keeping the Speedlite active.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements