cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAND NEW AND OUT OF THE BOX! HELP!

kwarford
Apprentice
I just finished setting up my brand new Rebel T5 and was only able to capture one picture. I attempt to take photos and can hear the shutter, but will not display the taken photo nor will it display in the photo storage. Someone help me, please. I'm brand new to all of this.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... will not display the taken photo nor will it display in the photo storage"

I am not sure DISP causes it to not playback on a T5?  Can you reset the camera.  A "Clear all settings" in the menu?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Auto-focus requires adequate lighting and a subject with adequate contrast.  It may not focus in a very dark room, for example... or a night scene.  It also needs contrast -- for exmaple if you point the camera up into a blue, cloudless sky it wont be able to focus on that either because there's nothing of contrast (the sky looks the same overall "blue" whether in focus or out of focus so moving the focus makes no difference and this confuses the camera.)

If, however, you have good lighting (e.g. suppose you're outside on a bright sunny day) then the camera should focus on any normal subject then it should have no difficulty focusing (as long as it isn't a completely plain, featureless subject that offers no contrast.)

The camera actually has TWO different focus systems.  If you look through the veiwfinder then the camera uses it's "phase detect" auto-focus system (this is the fastest focus system.)  If you put the camera into "live view" mode so that you use the rear LCD to compose your subject then the camera uses it's "contrast detect" auto-focus system.

If neither system works with the lens in auto-focus mode then the most likely cause is a problem with the lens (either the camera is unable to communicate with the lens or the auto-focus motor isn't working, etc.)  It's far more often that this is a lens problem and not a camera problem.

If you happen to have another lens, try switching lenses to see if that makes a difference.

Are the camera and lens both new?  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

yes both new, thanks for your reply. yes I was much more successful today out in the bright sunlight. such beautiful shots. not bad for a beginner! must be the camera.

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements