cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus problem with zoom

gregoriokoji
Apprentice
Hello! I have a Canon T6i with an EF-S 18-55mm lens, and I have a autofocus problem. The problem appears when I use the zoom, and the left side loses the focus points getting very blurred. I wonder if have any way of calibration, cleaning i can solve it myself? Or should i take it to an assistance point? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gregoriokoji
Apprentice
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@gregoriokoji wrote:
Hello! I have a Canon T6i with an EF-S 18-55mm lens, and I have a autofocus problem. The problem appears when I use the zoom, and the left side loses the focus points getting very blurred. I wonder if have any way of calibration, cleaning i can solve it myself? Or should i take it to an assistance point? Thanks

I suggest contacting Canon US Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

It sounds like you have a camera kit lens, and your lens has some sort of mechanical issue or defect.  If it is under warranty, then Canon should repair it, assuming it did not suffer from a drop, or something other.

If the lens needs repair, you will be better of simply buying a replacement.  I suggest checking out the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  All of the gear is factory re-certified and comes with a one year warranty.  That beats used gear any day of the week.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello gregoriokoji, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. 

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a Canon T6i with an EF-S 18-55mm lens,..."

Being a T6i it might be out of warranty depending on when you bought it.  A sample photo would help us.  This isn't a common problem that I can remember if you didn't abuse the lens.  You can clean the contacts if it makes you feel like you tried something but I doubt it will accomplish anything. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

gregoriokoji
Apprentice
Thank you.
Announcements