cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus stopped working in the middle of video shoot

Nina_Khanoom
Contributor

Hi.

I have a canon EOS Rebelt1i, I was using video to shoot a small video and also switching back and forth to photo as well. in the middle of work, AF stopped working. The manual focous has no problem. Camera stopped shooting pictures in AF mode completely. here is what I did based on advise on different canon forums:

- Updated firmware and it makes the camera to shoot in AF mode but with no focus. 

-cleared all settings

-tried to clean the connectors

-tried to twist the lesne hard(ish) to the far left and far right....

no change.

I am wondering if something happens to the lens when I continuesly switch to video and back to photo!!!

Note: the lens is the kit lens ( came with camera ) . don't have another lens to switch and test yet: so that has not been done. 

Your help is appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

Canon's newest cameras with Dual-Pixel CMOS Auto-Focus (which allows for continuous focus while shooting video), touch-screen, and the new almost completely silent STM lenses are a nice combination.  Touch the screen where you want it to focus and it does a very smooth and quiet focus adjustment to that spot.

The T7i has this, but honestly if you're going to be doing a lot of video then I'd suggest going for the 80D.  

The 80D has a brighter & larger viewfinder (true pentaprism instead of the cheaper penta-mirror on the 77D)

The 80D's single battery is considerably larger and you can get a battery grip for it ... this provides a considerably extension to battery life -- something you'll want it you're doing a lot of video.  The 80D uses the same battery and charger as all of the pro bodies.

The 80D does have a headphone jack -- so if you want to monitor the audio being recorded (some videographers record video separately and recombine in post rocessing rather than using in-camera audio recording but even if you do in-camera audio recording I'd suggest investing in a quality external microphone such as a Rode VideoMic.)

The 80D supports auto-focus micro-adjustment for your lenses (you can focus-test each lens and fractionally adjust it's focus if you find any lens is front-focusing or back-focusing your shots and these adjustments are registered to each lens uniquely so the adjustment for one lens can be different then the adjustment for another.  Rebel series bodies don't support that feature.)

I'd also look into a kit that included one of the STM lenses ... but check carefully because I noticed places like B&H Photo bundle the camera with lenses that are either USM or STM and if you're doing video you probably really want the STM lenses.

The downside of the 80D is the price tag.  The body-only configuration is about $1100.  BUT... you can get buy a refurbished 80D from the Canon online store for $900 ($899 body-only price) and it comes with the same warranty as a new camera.  You can get it bundled with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens for $950.

That might seem like a lot of money... but an 80D is in a completely new league as compared to any of the Rebel bodies.

The T7i (Canon's neweset rebel) is the _only_ Rebel which supports Dual-Pixel CMOS AF.  The T6i, T5i, etc. have Hydbrid CMOS AF which isn't quite as good.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yep - that's the one.  Note that this is a 3rd party seller (not really Walmart).  The seller gets some mixed reviews.  

The price tag makes me wonder if this isn't actually an import (meaning it wouldn't have a Canon USA warranty).  Gray Market products don't have Canon factory warranties and Canon may refuse to service it (even if you are willing to pay for service).

See:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/groups/gray-market

And:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers

And:  http://downloads.canon.com/dealer/canon-ad-3-2-17.pdf

The third party seller is called Pixibytes, Inc.  When I check the authorized dealer list, they're not on it.  😕

I'd be careful with that one.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements