cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus points are blurry.

Branndena1
Contributor
I'm using a canon t5 and when I look into the view finder my autofocus points are blurry and don't light up red except for 1 or two of them. I have checked the diopter settings and that is perfectly fine. When the subject is in the left side of the frame it won't focus properly and when I move it to the right side it focus' fine. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this without spending 300 bucks to send it in?
9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If the diopter is correct (i.e.the green characters look sharp) then:

1. are you inbright conditions trying to focus on a subject with good contrast?

2. when you say only one or two focus points light up is that when you have it set for all focus points active or when you select one focus point and move the selected point around the viewfinder? (It's not uncommon that all points don't ligt up since maybe only one or two find a subject to focus on.)

3. If the green chatacters are sharp and the focus points aren't did anything happen to affect the focusing screen?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Branndena1
Contributor
I have not check the focus point settings as I do normally shoot on manual. Thanks for the tip!
And I bought the camera with this issue unbeknownst to me. I can still use it,it just doesn't work as well as I would like

Branndena1
Contributor
I just checked and the focus point settings we're on manual! I appreciate it! The focus points are still blurry but it seems to be focusing just fine now

@Branndena1 wrote:
The focus points are still blurry but it seems to be focusing just fine now

This does not compute.

Branndena1
Contributor
The focus points look like black smudges versus clear circles. But the camera now autofocuses

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Thats normal. They are slightly fuzzy dots surrounded by a black lined square ( which should be sharp) that light red when in focus. Thats how my T5i is.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The dots are red, not rhe squares.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have checked the diopter settings and that is perfectly fine."

I doubt it.  Do a critical check again.  If you wear glasses it may be more difficult.  Plus the diopter has limits to what it can adjust. You can get additional diopter support for the eyepiece but I don't know it is available for the T5.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_
Authority

The first thing to try is to reset the camera to defaults thru your settings menu in case something got set wrong.

Announcements