cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus in sports mode

Sweatt1880
Apprentice

Should the red sensor dots in viewfinder light up when shutter button is depressed half way in sports mode? Wife's camera seems to focus but sensor dots don't react or light up. They seem to light up in every other AF mode. And I think I remember they used to in sports mode. EOS Rebel T4i 650D.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In Sports mode the camera uses AI Servo. Focus starts with center point and passes off as necessary to maintain subject in focus. Focus points do not light  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the info. Was hoping to not need to send it in for maintenance.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would avoid AI-servo, Sports mode, until you understand more about how it works.  Use the P mode and just the center focus point. Turn the others off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have set that up the back focus button for her but due to the speed she shoots at (volleyball) she seems to have better luck on sports mode. I wish I could adjust to single point focus on that mode but it is all preset. I will see what I can do on the P mode. Neither of us are very knowledgable. Thanks for the suggestion.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
You can set the exact same settings as sport mode yourself. Use manual mode and do the settings you like. Leave the ones you don't like off. But I will guess P mode will do what you want.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

AI Servo starts with the center point and follows the subject by shifting to the other points if necessary. This is appropriate when your subject is moving across the frame.

If you are shooting a subject that is large in the frame so that center point is always on the subject then you can select center point only.

If you are shooting sports you probably want Tv mode with a 1/1000 shutter speed to stop motion.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements