cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus Problem

camhoegen
Apprentice

Hi,

Today while shooting photos I began to have a problem with my t4i autofocus. It began to only use the furthest right point for auto focus. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

This could be as simple as resetting it back to automatic AF point selection.  Go to page 97 of your manual for instructions.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

This could be as simple as resetting it back to automatic AF point selection.  Go to page 97 of your manual for instructions.

Hello Diverhawk I am brandnew here so I do appreciate your answer but it describes to go into several modes and then see when the red lights light up. I do not understand how to make these a permanent calibration?  How does one have them all light up and then store that focuse calibration on the subject? The only other thing I can see of any use is there is a grey box at the bottom which instructs you too about turning it on and off during manual using usage.

Ok I went back and read it a couple of times and the best I can understand in difficult to focus situations and from the instructions on page 97 it is all about the Manual Focus to select the AF focus point on page 97 but on the other modes I do not get a save message or anything I will give you a kudos I just need advice on how to make sure the corrections I made take is there some in camera message or beep because it does not mention anything? It only mentions warnings when the camera can not focus via Auto Focus mode.

Hi Medic427...thanks for several kudos :).  The way the camera works, it will remember your last setting so unless you change, it will stay.  There is no need to do anything else to save it.  I'm not sure if I fully understand your question so forgive me if I get it wrong.

In P, Tv, Av and M mode, besides all 9 points (automatic AF point selection), you can select the point of focus to be the center or  from the 8 surrounding points.  This is for when your subject is off to one side and you do not wish to lock focus and recompose.  Most of the time I'd recommend keeping the focus point to the middle.  I shy away from automatic AF point selection because it usually grabs the closest object which may not be what you want.

OK...that's AF point selection.  Now regarding AF Modes - There are 3 modes for still camera, ONE SHOT, AI FOCUS, and AI SERVO (page 95,96).  Nobody I know uses AI FOCUS.  One shot is used for non-moving or slow moving objects.  AI Servo is used for moving objects. Only in ONE SHOT, when focus is achieved, a circle lits up in the viewfinder.  It also beeps unless you turn it off in the Camera Option (page 54).  

Announcements