cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto balance photography with T7i

Luigi6224
Apprentice
It’s not clear to me how do use the auto focus feature of the canon speed light 470ex with my T7i. There’s some reference to the auto focus feature in the compatibility chart, But I don’t see any information on how to use it if there is a specific way to take advantage of this feature so that the auto balance works properly. Is anyone familiar with this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is probably what you are refering to. It's not focusing the camera; its measuring the light path distance to compute exposure. For some cameras (not yours) you can activate the feature on the camera using the DOF preview button.

Annotation 2020-06-14 192346.jpg

Annotation 2020-06-14 192423.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you mean by Auto Focus? The only focusing feature the flash has is an IR focus assist light that helps the camera focus in low light.

Do you mean the AI features?

Luigi6224
Apprentice
There was a qualifying reference at one point about it being possible using the depth of Field feature on the camera.

Just checked again and now it reads “ *3: Possible with the AI.B Full-auto distance measurement start button”

@Luigi6224 wrote:
There was a qualifying reference at one point about it being possible using the depth of Field feature on the camera.

Just checked again and now it reads “ *3: Possible with the AI.B Full-auto distance measurement start button”

I do not know about anyone else, but I have no idea what you're describing.  Your quoted sentence is out of context.  What manual are reading?  Can you post a screenshot of the entire page?

As noted by kvbarkley just above, a flash does not focus.  A flash measures distance to determine how much power is needed to light the subject, which is where the camera has focused.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

While the maunual is *really* unclear about this, but it appears to me that the T7i does not offer that distance measuring feature. You might have to actually call Canon.

@kvbarkley wrote:

While the maunual is *really* unclear about this, but it appears to me that the T7i does not offer that distance measuring feature. You might have to actually call Canon.

No camera explains how to use an external flash.  Every camera manual refers you to the manual for the external flash.  The camera manual only tells you what settings you can make, but it doesn't really explain what they actually mean or do.

[EDIT] added screenshot from T7i manual.

912BED2B-0703-47B4-94F3-57378DFDF601.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is probably what you are refering to. It's not focusing the camera; its measuring the light path distance to compute exposure. For some cameras (not yours) you can activate the feature on the camera using the DOF preview button.

Annotation 2020-06-14 192346.jpg

Annotation 2020-06-14 192423.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Luigi6224
Apprentice
So, what you’re saying is that when I use my T7I with the speedlite 470 EX-AI Auto Bounce photography should work with the proper settings.

Thanks

No, your camera is not fully supported.

You can't activate the feature using the flash but can by pressing the depth of field preview button on the camera. Give it a try.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements