cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issues when using my MacBook Pro and EOS Utility

mickifan77
Contributor

I sure hope some one can help me with this.  I have a Canon Rebel SL1 which I use to record my YouTube videos. I tether it to my MacBook Pro so I can use the Live view to make sure I’m in focus, etc. I also use an external microphone which is on a boom over my head. 

My audio sounds fine IF I don’t have my power cord plugged into my Mac but the minute I do that I get a horrible buzzing.crackle noise which I can not edit out (I use Final Cut Pro X). The audio also sounds the same if I open the clip inQuicktime so it’s not a FCPX issue.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• 2 days on the phone with Apple and I was escalated all the way up to the top of tech support. They say it’s not them.
  • I’ve tried 3 different mics
  • 2 different aux cables
  • 2 different power cords (both were purchased directly from Apple)
  • A few different electrical outlets
  • Different brands of the class 10 memory brands (Sony, Scandisk, etc)
  • I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled EOS Utility
  • Made sure my Mac and EOS Utility were up to date 

I’m so frustrated at this point and at a loss as to what I can do to fix this. I made a YouTube view where you can hear the audio to see what I’m talking about and you can see it at https://youtu.be/SVvtJIQ6Mdw. The first part of the video is fine and shows the sound without the power cord plugged in, the 2nd part is with the power cord plugged in and the last is that same clip edited as best as I couldn in FCPX. 

I would really appreciate any help to get this fixed because I waste so much time when I forget to unplug my MacBook when I’m recording and my viewers hate having to listen to my videos that way. Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

I have tried that and it didn’t do anything either. 

What audio format are those external microphones putting out? Your camera wants a linear PCM audio signal. I am not an audio engineer, just trying to help you out. The recommended mic for your camera is the Canon DM E1 which runs on a button battery. Here is the link to specs for that microphone  for you to possibly compare to those you have tried: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/microphones/directional-m...

@mickifan77 wrote:

Here's what I just got done testing:

TEST #1:

TEST #2:

TEST #3:

TEST #4:

TEST #5:

TEST #6

The next time I cycled through everything from above except I changed the white cable from the camera to the mic to a gray one I have.  Everything stayed the same when power cord was pllugged in.

These are the microphnes I tried:

• Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount (this the current one I use)
  • K&F Shotgun Microphone, Concept CM-500 Professional Interview Mic Recording for Nikon Canon DSLR Camera Gopro Hero 4 (Need 3.5mm Interface)
  • Pergear Video Camera Camcorder Shotgun Microphone Uni-Directional System Condenser Mic for Canon Nikon Cameras

Then I unplugged the cord from the camera to the mic and used the microphone from the camera and it sounded PERFECT and it didn't matter if it was plugged in to power or not.

Now I'm wondering if the jack port is bad. What do any of you think?

Your tests were thorough, but completely meaningless.  The tests only served to confirm what you already know, facts which were never in doubt.  What is in doubt is the connection to the camera.  Take a look at this recent thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Rode-not-working-with-80d/m-p/268797#M37553

Someone was using the wrong microphone, which I suspect is your problem.  Nearly all Canon consumer DSLR cameras use the same type of microphone input.  Do not assume there is something wrong with the gear.  

Most problems of this type are usually caused by operator error.  Unfortunately, microphone specs are not well documented, and some of is guess work, and trial and error.

I could only find info on the Rode microphone. I will ignore the other two models.  The Rode appears to need to phantom power, but I am not sure if the SL1 can output phantom power.  Probably not, but I cannot find any specs one way or the other.

I think you either have the wrong type of microphone, or the wrong type of adapter connecting the microphone.  You most likely need a TRS plug to go into the camera.  But, I cannot find any specs on the SL1 to either confirm or deny this guess.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mickifan77 wrote:

I sure hope some one can help me with this.  I have a Canon Rebel SL1 which I use to record my YouTube videos. I tether it to my MacBook Pro so I can use the Live view to make sure I’m in focus, etc. I also use an external microphone which is on a boom over my head. 

My audio sounds fine IF I don’t have my power cord plugged into my Mac but the minute I do that I get a horrible buzzing.crackle noise which I can not edit out (I use Final Cut Pro X). The audio also sounds the same if I open the clip inQuicktime so it’s not a FCPX issue.

[deleted]

I would really appreciate any help to get this fixed because I waste so much time when I forget to unplug my MacBook when I’m recording and my viewers hate having to listen to my videos that way. Thanks!

The buzzing you describe when you plug into AC power sounds like ground loop fault.  

Does the buzzing occur with the onboard microphone in the SL1, or just with an external microphone?  If the buzzing is not present with the internal microphone, then wiring terminations to the microphone input are incorrect, or you are using the wrong type of microphone.  

Microphones come in two basic flavors, powered and unpowered.  

mickifan77
Contributor
It doesn’t happen when I use the cameras mic. I’ve tried both powered (my Rodes mic) and unpowered (the Pergear) that I have listed above. Also I’ve tried 2 different lavaliers and I have the same issue. I’ve tried 2 different aux cables as well.

Right, your internal mic works right only those external mics are giving you problems. When you insert the external mic plug into the jack it should disconnect your internal mic and connect to the external mic. I checked one of your mics, the Rodeo one you said you are currently using and there are differences in the specs, different from the Canon recommended mic DM-E1. I am not qualified to say they are causing your problems perhaps someone else here is.

Going back to your input jack, it is also possible when the external plug is inserted it is not disconnecting your internal microphone completely and causing that buzzing noise. I can see how important this is to you and you have put in a lot of effort to find an answer rather than waiting for one to come to you.

If there is a camera shop nearby or maybe even a Best Buy maybe you could bring your equipment in there and they can find out what is going on.

The why does it work when the laptop is battery only?

I do not know and the Asus does the same I think was said too. Perhaps the ground on the input jack is defective somehow or the connection from the jack to the PC board and picks up some low-frequency noise from the power supply when it is plugged in?

I guess I can't provide a link, but you probably need a ground-isolated USB connector. Since you are not transferring power from the PC to the camera it should work.

Google "Adafruit USB isolator" for an example, but you might need high speed.

@mickifan77 wrote:
It doesn’t happen when I use the cameras mic. I’ve tried both powered (my Rodes mic) and unpowered (the Pergear) that I have listed above. Also I’ve tried 2 different lavaliers and I have the same issue. I’ve tried 2 different aux cables as well.

Can you take pictures of the plugs on the microphones, plus any adapters they might have, and post them?

Announcements