cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspect Ratio of Pictures Won't Change

JosephineM
Contributor

Hi there,

I've got a Canon Rebel SL1. It's my first proper camera, and I got it second hand from a friend. 

I've gone into the menu settings to change the aspect ratio of the pictures (to 4:3), but no matter what I change it to, it always takes pictures in a ratio of 3:2. I've looked all over for a solution, but haven't had any luck, so I thought I would try this forum.

Is there something I'm missing? 

Thanks in advanced!

13 REPLIES 13

"If I take a picture through the viewfinder, they come out at 3:2, no matter what size I've selected in the settings. If I take a picture through the video screen, the pictures are whatever size I have selected in the menu."

I am pretty sure viable aspect ratio sizes are only available when shooting in Live View. The menu choice for that feature is in the Live View menu section - you can see the little icon that shows the Live View screen.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I don't like using the video screen, because of how quickly it drains the battery. So if I use the viewfinder, I'll always have pictures in 3:2 ratio, and I just have to edit / crop them afterwards? I find that I have to edit my pictures anyways, so cropping isn't a big deal. 

Looks like it.

Alright, good to know. Thank you!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements