cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspect Ratio of Pictures Won't Change

JosephineM
Contributor

Hi there,

I've got a Canon Rebel SL1. It's my first proper camera, and I got it second hand from a friend. 

I've gone into the menu settings to change the aspect ratio of the pictures (to 4:3), but no matter what I change it to, it always takes pictures in a ratio of 3:2. I've looked all over for a solution, but haven't had any luck, so I thought I would try this forum.

Is there something I'm missing? 

Thanks in advanced!

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you shooting in RAW?

I'm not shooting in RAW. I'm using the 'S1' setting. 

And what shooting mode?

I'm shooting in "P" mode. I have a friend who does photography, and she said it's the best one for me to learn in, but I still need to get around to figuring out what everything means.

I got the camera two weeks ago (or so), and have only started using it in the last 3 days. It's -40C outside, so I haven't tried it anywhere fun, but my main intention for getting it, and learning, is to professionally photograph my artwork for selling. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Also, see the star next to the heading in the manual? That means you have to be in one of the advanced modes, PAS or M.

Untitled.jpg

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

KV's got you on the right track here. And he types faster than me, too . . .

If you haven't already, download a copy of the SL1 user manual and spend some "quality time" with it. I think you'll find the camera is capable of doing maybe 10 times as much as you're expecting. Especially if this your first proper camera.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300010915/01/eos-rebelsl1-100d-im-en.pdf

Read the manual a section at a time till you start to get a feel for the camera's controls. If you try to learn it all in one sitting you'll likely feel a bit overwhelmed.

At a glance it looks like different camera settings (shooting mode, saving RAW images, using Live View, etc.) may have some effect on the available aspect ratios.

Thank you! I'm going to download this to my phone for the long work commutes I'll be back to starting next week. 

It should be working. What is the image size you do get? Try setting it to L and see if that helps.

I went through each of the picture size settings. If I take a picture through the viewfinder, they come out at 3:2, no matter what size I've selected in the settings. If I take a picture through the video screen, the pictures are whatever size I have selected in the menu. I can switch back and forth, from picture to picture, and this is always the result. Absolutely baffling. 

Announcements