cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having problems with Mavericks OS not recognizing Canon camera (Rebel T3i)?

canonblast
Apprentice

Having problems on my MacPro after installing Mavericks OS (I know, should have waited). Can't find my Rebel T3i when I plug it in. Anyone have any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

Hello Canonblast, 

This section describes how to download images from your camera to the computer using EOS Utility. The same procedures can be used to download movies as well as still images. However, downloading movies requires a much longer time due to their large data size.

Windows Vista is used as an example, but the procedures are mostly the same if you use Windows 7, Windows XP, or Mac OS X.
CAUTION
  • Install all software from the Solution Disk supplied with the camera before performing the following procedures.
  • When downloading images to the computer, please log on to the computer as an administrator.
  • EOS Utility is exclusively for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, andMac OS X.

Downloading all images that have not been transferred to the computer

1. Connect the camera to the computer with the interface cable supplied with the camera.
  • Set the camera's Auto Power Off settings to [Off] or [Disable] before making the connection.
  • Please see the related information for how to connect a camera to a computer.

2. Set the camera's power to <ON>.

3. EOS Utility starts automatically.
If EOS Utility does not start automatically, click the [Start] button, then select [All Programs] , [Canon Utilities] , [EOS Utility] and then [EOS Utility].
NOTE
For Mac OS X, click the [EOS Utility] icon registered in the Dock.

If a screen for selecting the program (application) appears, select [Downloads images EOS camera].

4. When the following window appears, start the operation for downloading images.
To download all images saved in the memory card, click [Starts to download images] in the EOS Utility window.
* The image displayed may differ depending on which model is connected.

NOTE
By default, the downloaded images are sorted into folders by their shooting date, and are saved in the [Pictures] folder on the computer. If you wish to change the destination for the downloaded images, click [Preferences] and specify the settings in the dialog box.

If you click [Lets you select and download images], the images saved in the memory card will be displayed in the EOS Utility window so that you can select the images to be downloaded. For the details, please see the "Downloading selected images" section below.

5. The images are downloaded to the computer.

6. When all the images have been downloaded, Digital Photo Professional starts and the downloaded images are displayed.

This completes the process of downloading images.

If this is an urgent matter and you would like to contact technical support directly, please do so using our Support and Service web site. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This advice does not help for Mac user who've upgraded to Mavericks. When I try to load the EOS utitlity, I get the following error message:

You can’t open the application “EOS Utility” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Canon either needs to find a work around that actually works, or supply new drivers to those of us who've been foolish enought to move to Mavericks. Otherwise or our cameras will be be useless to us. I have a Powershot sx260 hs that is about 1 yr. old.

You seem to have a very old version of EOS Utility.  You'll want to download the latest (which is not a PowerPC application.)

You can download the update to the latest version (v2.13.40) here:   http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_lens...

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I downloaded the .dmg for the new version but when I tried to install it I got a box that read "The software to be updated could not be found. Insert the CD-ROM than came with your Canon product..." Now what?

Most of the software at the Canon support site are "updates". You have to install the base version that came with your camera (on the CD). You do _not_ actually have to run it after installing... just install it is enough. Then you can run the update and it will bring it up to the current version.

If you do not have the original CD, there is a link to download the full version, but it will prompt you for your camera serial number.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

the old files ARE installed. I have the disk, and just to be sure I reinstalled them, but Mavericks has them x'd out in the Finder directory and doesn't seem to recognize their existence or to let any program recognize their existence.

Canon now allows you to download the full "solutions disk" software (original software rather than just the updates) since many modern computers no longer include optical drives.

I might try this:

1 - go to the software download page for the Canon T3i which is located here: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_lens_kit...

2 - rather than allowing it to default to Mavericks, change the selection to Mountain Lion (10.8 rather than 10.9).

3 - in the "software" category, you should now see a choice named "EOS Solution Disk Software" with a version number and indicating it's for Mac users. Select that.

4 - I believe Canon will ask you to enter the serial number of your camera to confirm your eligibility to download it.

You *should* be able to install this version (and you may want to delete your previously installed software).

BTW... I think that version might be one version behind. To get the very latest you may have to apply the most recent download (which you've probably already downloaded.)

Hopefully that helps.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements