Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Owners of the T5i out there?

Transmanjoe
Contributor

Hi Everyone

I just got this camera a week ago,I love it

I'm having trouble in the ""Creative zone,trying to figure out how to take a picture with a blurred backgroung.

Specifically when I go to the dragstrip,I will take pictures of the cars in the pits in the Scene Intelligent Mode,and they always come out perfect.

I would like to set up the , What do I want? The AV Mode. So i can have preset settings,to take a picture of a car with a blurred background.

I've been reading about ISO,F stops,etc,and I can't seem to figure it out yet

I have been practicing on my wife's orchids, or my car outside,all yesterday,and couldn't get it,

So that;s why I'm asking for help,from someone with a T5i, to give me  step by step instructions.

Then I'll be on my way

Thanks for your help

Joe

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You want to select Av mode and choose a low number aperture. See this article on Depth of Field.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

You can preview your image in the viewfinder:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank's John

ScottyP
Authority
What you want is a shallow depth of field in-focus.

1.). Go to AV (aperture priority) mode using the dial on top of the camera.

2.). Zoom your lens in to the longest (most telephoto) setting you can get to work. More telephoto gives shallower depth of field.

3.). Use the lowest f/number your camera will allow with the lens you have attached. That gives the widest lens opening (aperture) your lens can achieve. Wider aperture gives shallower depth of field.

4.). Set up the shot so that the background is far away behind the subject. You need some distance to let that out of focus background be far out of focus.

If you really want to get more blur than this can give you, you can buy a lens with a wider maximum aperture. The cheapest way to do this, and the widest apertures available, are on "prime" lenses, which are fixed focal length (non-zooming) lenses. Remember the lower the f/number the wider the aperture.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks Scott

The "nifty fifty" is right up your alley, so to speak!  It is a 50mm f1.8 prime lens and it has a very attractive price.  Keep it as open as you can (low f-number) and you should get nicely blurred backgrounds.  Use a smaller aperture (larger number) and it will give you pin sharp back grounds.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements