cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting the shutter speed

Hillera
Contributor
When in manual mode I can’t adjust the shutter speed to over 200.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are using flash, the shutter speed is automatically limited to 1/200.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

NewEgg has the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens for $267 which I am considering adding to my Christmas list...about $150 more than the 50mm f/1,8 STM...my question is, is it worth the extra money? From my old film days I remember wishing I had a f1.4 over my f1.8 for low light situations but made due with the f1.8

"...my question is, is it worth the extra money?"

IMHO, it is. First off it is made much better less plastic and more metal.  A bit faster never hurts either. As far as IQ goes they are about equal in actual use. Now some keyboard jock is going to chime in that lab charts might show differently.  But how many lab charts are you going to photograph? Grab the f1.4, you'll love it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It was my opinion too, especially the speed but I wanted a more educated opinion before I asked Santa...it is on my list now!

"...or a EF75-300mm"

BTW, I would not even try to use that lens for indoor sports. Use your other lens the ef-s 18-55mm and set it wide open with Av.

EB

Thank you so much for all of the advice!  I will try a few different things and definitely the photo editor.  I will let you know how it goes.  Wish me luck!

Good luck!  And, do get back.    Smiley Happy

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"When in manual mode I can’t adjust the shutter speed to over 200."

Have you ever been able to select a higher SS?  If yes, than reset your camera as you are in a setting that limits it or you made a setting change by mistake that limits SS.

EB
Announcements