cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting the shutter speed

Hillera
Contributor
When in manual mode I can’t adjust the shutter speed to over 200.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are using flash, the shutter speed is automatically limited to 1/200.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are using flash, the shutter speed is automatically limited to 1/200.

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for the response, it was because I had the flash on.  I am trying to take pictures at a basketball game and without the flash the pictures are too dark.  The shutter speed of 200 is too slow to take action shots.  Any suggestions?

"Any suggestions?"

I suspect you are using the standard kit lens. If, yes, it is too slow for this type of shooting.  And, I also suspect you are shooting from the bleachers or stands? Yes, no?  I need to know answers to these questions for assistance.

BTW, how are you getting by with flash at a BB game? That is a huge no-no every place I have ever been!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes I am shooting from the bleachers as a beginer Mom who is trying to get the best shots of my children.  I am using an EF-S 18-55mm and or a EF75-300mm.  I appreciate any tips and tricks you can share.

"I appreciate any tips and tricks you can share."

Unfortunately , Mom, neither of these lenses is going to be easy or even possible to use.  Not that you can't do it but from the bleachers it is going to make the slow lens problem worse.  If you dont' want to buy faster lenses, at least f2.8, all you can do is hike the ISO up.  ISO 3200 and 6400, even higher, however, be aware the quality of the photos goes down as the ISO goes up.  Gyms are notorious poorly lighted so the photographer has to compensate for that.

Can you get on the floor?

EB

Thank you for your reply, I truly appeciate it!  Any recommendations for a some what affordable lense?

"...some what affordable lense?"

Yeah, a fast lens and affordable are generally on the opposite ends of the spectrum.  The confine of the bleachers almost rules out a prime which is the top choice for fast and affordable.

However, if you can get by with a prime the best one is the ef 50mm f1.8 at about a $125 bucks. Another very good one with a bit more reach is the ef 85mm f1.8. It is around $300.  Both of these are very much faster than your kit zoom lens and both are a constant f1.8 if needed. More inside the zoom range of your lens is the ef 35mm f2 but it is a bit more expensive.

Top choice would be the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It also has a constant f2.8 aperture.

Question, do you post edit your shots?  If you don't this a must.  You can correct a lot of things and make any photo better in post editing.  Take a look at Photoshop Elements or try the free Canon DPP4 which you can d/l if you don't already have it.

Keep in mind if you go the prime lens route which is not a bad idea, you can not zoom.  Two ways to over come that limitation is using your feet to zoom or your post editor.

EB

Thank you for all of the tips!  One more question, if I do get out of the bleachers and onto the floor, any recommendations for settings? 

Your lens will still be an issue but on the floor it will be better.  I use Av mode setting the lens as wide open as possible. This will allow the camera to select the fastest SS it can for proper exposure.  Never use any of the 'auto' modes.  You will still need to set your ISO pretty high.  I would start at 1600 and go up from there depending on just how much light your gym has.

I shot for the KC Corporate Challenge last year.  The lighting can be tough sometimes.

This is a typical shot. My 1D Mk IV with a 70mm lens set at f4, SS 1/100 and ISO at 3200.

_52D5697.jpg

In photography there is no free lunch.  You always give up something to get something.  I would have preferred to use a little faster SS. But that means I would have to up the already high ISO to 6400.  Remember a doubling or halving of the number is one stop.  I could have used f2.8 in favor of f4 but the DOF will shrink (the amount fo the shot in critical focus). So, Mom, all you can do is try several settings and see what works best.  Never, ever, use any of the automatic modes!  You didn't buy a P&S, you bought a DSLR.  See if you can get on the floor otherwise, a new lens or just do the best you can.  Most of all get that post editor.  It is THE most important aspect of photography.

Let me know how it goes.  Smiley Wink

EB
Announcements