cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapting an Olympus film lens to a Rebel T6

t3ijbp
Contributor

New to the rebel community here, I received it as a gift.  I have seen T6, T6i, T6s so unclear on the differences among them so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  Just don't want to waste my money if something is not meant for my camera.

On the face of my camera it says T6.  On the box it says T6(w).  So just a bit confused on these monikers.

I have the following film lens (this is what it says right on the lens itself):

Olympus OM-System E.Zuiko Auto-T 1:3.5 f=135mm 259243

Can I adapt that lens to my Rebel T6 with this adapter?  If so, I see someone mentioned a pro adapter.  What's the difference between a pro and this adapter?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

total waste of money. You will loose all the features most people rely on to take photos. The lens won't auto focus nor will the camera be able to work the aperture. Image quality may or may not be acceptable too.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I understand that auto focus will not be available, so I have no problem using manual focus.  Just want to know if that adapter is the correct one.

@t3ijbp wrote:

I understand that auto focus will not be available, so I have no problem using manual focus.  Just want to know if that adapter is the correct one.

I am not familiar with the Olympus mounts.  But, I am familiar with Fotodiox lens adapters.  I have used two of them.  One for my old Konica AF mounts lenses, and another for my old Canon FD mounts.  The Fotodiox adapters are notoriouis for creating lens flare and glare, which appear as big, white, foggy looking smears on the images. 

It would seem that most Fotodiox lens adapters lack special coatings to reduce and eliminate lens glare.  As long as you do not have any strong light sources, be it direct or indirect, with your shot, then you will not get lens glare.  If you take outdoor shots with the sun directly behind your back, and no reflective surfaces in your shot, then you will not get lens glare. 

For most everything else, though, you likely get some degreee of lens glare in your shots.  I know you're not getting the answers you're looking for.  Don't waste your money.  In addition to issues with the adapters, the image quality will most likely be disappointing.  The cheapest modern lenses can meet, or far exceed, the image quality of the best manual focus film lenses being made 30 years ago..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used an Olympus OM-1 35mm camera for years, with an Olympus/Zuiko f/1.8 50mm lens.  It was, at the time, considered to be an excellent lens.  It will not function properly with the Canon Rebel T6 camera you now have.  As others have pointed out already, any adapter you might find would represent an awful compromise and cancel out all the features of your new camera.

A far better choice would be to find a used "kit lens" on a site like eBay.  They are very inexpensive, and you could then sell your old Olympus lens online to someone who might be able to use it on an old 35mm camera body.  The old lens won't bring much, but getting the proper lens for the T6 is the far more practical choice.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not only is this idea a "total waste of money" it is even a total waste of time.  Not worth any effort spent on either.

More bad news I doubt you can get very much selling for the Olympus 135mil lens.  Might make a good paper weight.

You have a Rebel T6(?) which, whatever mode,l is a pretty nice camera.  Put a decent 'current' lens on it.  You will be far better off  and far happier.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements