cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Sensor Cleaning function from computer - Canon T3/1100D

carromeu
Apprentice

Hello,

I am wondering if is it possible to access the sensor cleaning option (in the menu) from the computer. I have a T3/1100D and the back panel buttons (including menu) is not working any more. Once I theter the camera to take my photos, it is not a big deal. However, I am not sure if I completely lost the function of sensor cleaning... Appreciate any help on this.

Best,

Cassiano.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maybe you can switch the camera over to movie shooting mode if that works.

That would flip the mirror up. Then assuming the camera allows you to remove the lens without some safety override flipping the mirror back down, you will have a clear view of the sensor.

Take a rocket blower and do your best to blow the dust off the sensor. That works better than the auto clean anyway. Go ahead and blow the mirror too when you lower it if it has any fuzzies showing up in the viewfinder as you look into it.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority
Canon no doubt has a way to run diagnostic on a camera via a computer hookup. I am unaware of any way for you and me
To do it but I haven't googled for it. Maybe there is a hack.

The camera does a self clean every time you power off and that is the default setting. If you could access the menu you could make it do one any time but if it has quit occurring at shutdown and you had not disabled the default yourself I think maybe that is one more thing that is toasted on your camera.

Repair would not be worth it assuming it is out of warranty. Sounds like time for a new camera.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Thank you Scott! You are right about the repair: it would be better to buy a new one. My only concern is that this one is full spectrum modified (lfp1 and 2 removed) and works great for astrophotography. It would be perfect if I could access the sensor from times to times for cleaning... When testing for spots (with background, highest f number), I could find a lot of big ones (probably result from the environmental conditions that I expose the camera for astrophotos). Anyway, I appreciate your reply and will weight the pros and cons of buying a new one (seems that accessing the cleaning function from the computer isn't a option, from what I looked online).

Thank you!

Cassiano.

Maybe you can switch the camera over to movie shooting mode if that works.

That would flip the mirror up. Then assuming the camera allows you to remove the lens without some safety override flipping the mirror back down, you will have a clear view of the sensor.

Take a rocket blower and do your best to blow the dust off the sensor. That works better than the auto clean anyway. Go ahead and blow the mirror too when you lower it if it has any fuzzies showing up in the viewfinder as you look into it.

Good luck!
Scott

Thanks Scott! I did it with bulb exposure (kept pressing the shutter button while blowing the off the dust particles). It worked fine (removed the big dust particles)! I will keep the idea of the video in mind for deep cleaning with a swab, if required in the future. I really appreciate your feedback and help!

Best,

Cassiano.

Announcements