cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AV Mode

cherylg
Apprentice

I have a Canon SL1.  I am having trouble with the AV mode.  There is a long delay once I press the shutter button and then the picture never appears.  It is not on self-timer and is set to F8?

3 REPLIES 3

@cherylg wrote:

I have a Canon SL1.  I am having trouble with the AV mode.  There is a long delay once I press the shutter button and then the picture never appears.  It is not on self-timer and is set to F8?

Often that means that the lens couldn't achieve focus. What are the lighting conditions?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

On the side of the lens barrel, there is an “AF/MF” (auto-focus / manual-focus) switch.  Put the camera in “MF” (manual focus) mode and take a test shot.  The camera should take the shot immediately (it wont make any attempt to focus) and save the image.

If that works, it indicates that your lens likely has a focus problem and need attention.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"There is a long delay once I press the shutter button and then the picture never appears"

"There is along delay" and then the shutter snaps?  The two replies so far don't deal with what could be wrong so here is what you need to do. Reset your Rebel.  In the Menu there is a Tools (the 4th one) tab. Under it there is clear settings. Under it there is a clear all settings, do that.  Now set the mode dial to the green square.  Put the lens switch to AF. Go outside on a nice day and try again.  If it works there isn't anything wrong with your Rebel.

There either is something wrong with how you use Av or you had some other setting off.  This sometimes it just happens!  Now that you have it reset and hopefully it works, try your Av shots again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements