cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFTER TAKING 60 PHOTOS ON MY T3I I SHUT IT OF AND PUT IT ASIDE. WHEN I TURNED IT BACK ONI GOT A ERRO

LLATTARULO
Apprentice

AFTER TAKING 60 PHOTOS ON MY T31,I SHUT IT OF AND PUT IT ASIDE.WHEN I TURNED IT BACK ON I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT SAID IT COULD NOT READ THE CARD AND TO TRY  TAKING THE CARD OUT AND PUTTING IT BACK IN .THAT DIDNT WORK  AND DID NOT HAVE ANOTHER CARD YET SO I REFOMATTED IT CARD AND OF COURCE LOST ALL MY PHOTOS.I HAVE A 8 G CARD SO IT WASNT FULL.WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED?

5 REPLIES 5

Mykolas
Authority

LLATTARULO,

There was likely corrupted data or incomplete data on the card.  There are a couple possible causes, but since it has been resolved, it is hard to speculate what caused it.  It may have been that the card had not been formatted in a long time or the camera had not finished writing the data from earlier to the card. 

This error does not always mean that the images on the card are lost.  Formatting can fix this, but you may want to try downloading the images from the card directly using a card reader before you format the card if this happens again.  This will ensure you do not lose your images again.

It is also good practice to regularly format the card after you have downloaded all of the images from it.  This keeps the card fresh and the file system as free from corruption as possible, greatly reducing the chances of seeing this error again.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

siu
Contributor

In fact, you shouldn't reformat the card before you retrieve photos from the card. However, even if you formated the card, as long as you don't save any data  to card after formatting, you can recover photos from memory card. you can know more here: Formatted photos recovery

Unless it was a low-level format.

Shehab
Apprentice

In order to recover photos from Canon, the most effective way is to use sd card data recovery tool, you can google for it and also some powerful Android data recovery tool has such function for Android sd card recovery. You can connect your canon to computer directly if it can be detected as removable disk, if can't you can use a card reader to help.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Everyone has their own favourite software to recover lost photos. I use Photorec because it is open source and free to use. If you haven't low level format your card you should have zero problems to recover the card.

Announcements