cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm f1.8 Lens on EOS Rebel T6

mckenziebell
Apprentice

I've been looking into other lenses for my T6 to really step up my portrait quality. I am interested in the 50mm f1.8 lens, but heard somewhere that the 50mm on this certain model of camera would act like a 80mm. Is that true, and if so, is it still worth buying the 50mm? Or should I try to find one with a smaller focal length?

Thanks!

Mckenzie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mckenziebell wrote:

I've been looking into other lenses for my T6 to really step up my portrait quality. I am interested in the 50mm f1.8 lens, but heard somewhere that the 50mm on this certain model of camera would act like a 80mm. Is that true, and if so, is it still worth buying the 50mm? Or should I try to find one with a smaller focal length?

Thanks!

Mckenzie

"Acts like an 80mm" is a reference to the fact that on a "full-frame" camera (which has a larger sensor) you'd have to use an 80mm lens to get the same field of view that the 50mm will give you on your T6. Unless you also have a FF camera, you can ignore that piece of information.

All you need to know is that a 50mm lens is a mild telephoto on your camera. As such, it's a pretty good portrait lens. The reason one uses a telephoto lens for portraits is that a "normal" lens will exaggerate the size of the subject's nose if you move in close enough for his/her face to fill the frame. A telephoto lens allows you to stand back farther, which lessens the effect. And the wide aperture of an f/1.8 lens provides a shallow depth of field, allowing you to blur the background, which is often helpful for portraits.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

My understanding is that an 80 mm equivalent is good focal length for portraits, that is why the 85mm is so popular on full frame.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is an excellent lens.  It is a lens that any Rebel owner should want to have in their bag.  It is a well made lens for those on a budget.  One of the best features is that it has a metal mount for attaching it to a camera.

Canon also sells an older non-STM version of this lens, which has a plastic mount.  They sell for close to the same price, but the one you want is the STM version. The STM lenses are a more recent design, all of which are excellent lenses.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is much sharper than your 18-55mm camera kit lens.

It is a great focal length for shooting portraits with an APS-C sensor body, like your Rebel T6.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@mckenziebell wrote:

Thanks!

Mckenzie

"Acts like an 80mm" is a reference to the fact that on a "full-frame" camera (which has a larger sensor) you'd have to use an 80mm lens to get the same field of view that the 50mm will give you on your T6. Unless you also have a FF camera, you can ignore that piece of information.

All you need to know is that a 50mm lens is a mild telephoto on your camera. As such, it's a pretty good portrait lens. The reason one uses a telephoto lens for portraits is that a "normal" lens will exaggerate the size of the subject's nose if you move in close enough for his/her face to fill the frame. A telephoto lens allows you to stand back farther, which lessens the effect. And the wide aperture of an f/1.8 lens provides a shallow depth of field, allowing you to blur the background, which is often helpful for portraits.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements