cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 minute limit. T7.

BARRIIICADEttv
Contributor

Hello everyone!, i'm new here but i'll make this as simple as possible.

Has anyone had luck with any workaround for the auto shutoff "tax" feature in their EOS cameras?.

I've been looking everywhere for anything to help avert this issue as i originally bought my T7 to operate as my primary camera for streaming.

I know a lot of you will say "This is not a web camera" and such, however there is no reason not to try to improve quality for a persons content.

Magic Lantern is not working on anything T7 related so that is off the table. If anyone has ANY idea how to get the camera to last longer than 30 minutes i would LOVE to hear your workaround.

Perhaps there is a custom firmware out there somewhere?.

15 REPLIES 15

pssst. that picture is proof of clean hdmi on a t7.

Smiley Surprised

I'm not going to argue with you sir. I do really like the camera overall. Just been a bit of a tricky thing to deal with as it's really my first dslr.

Who knows?, eventually the "taxes" thing could eventually fade away and there could be some firmware changes in the years to come. I know it's just a hope, but sometimes thats all you need!.

Kaseli
Apprentice

Greetings, 

I have a solution for you. In order to get a clean HDMI output with a canon T7 or T7i, you must utilize a lens other than the kit lens. For instance, I am using a 30mm with 2.8 aperature. Switch the camera to 'manual focus' and then switch it into 'movie mode'. Switching it into 'manual focus' will remove the white focus box. Switching it into 'movie mode' will remove the black ring (the black ring is associated with the 30mm lens). The camera is connected to an HP laptop via the HDMI cord. The HDMI cord is connected to the Elgato Cam Link, which is connected to the laptop via the USB port. I cannot attest that this works for every camera or lens, however it works for the above configuration. 1.PNG2.PNG

@Kaseli wrote:

Greetings, 

I have a solution for you. In order to get a clean HDMI output with a canon T7 or T7i, you must utilize a lens other than the kit lens. For instance, I am using a 30mm with 2.8 aperature. Switch the camera to 'manual focus' and then switch it into 'movie mode'. Switching it into 'manual focus' will remove the white focus box. Switching it into 'movie mode' will remove the black ring (the black ring is associated with the 30mm lens). The camera is connected to an HP laptop via the HDMI cord. The HDMI cord is connected to the Elgato Cam Link, which is connected to the laptop via the USB port. I cannot attest that this works for every camera or lens, however it works for the above configuration. 1.PNG2.PNG

That is called a "work around".  It is neither a documented or supported mode of operation.  Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Greetings,

Please explain which part of this is a "work around". Is the part where I use a canon camera? The part where I use a canon lens? The part where I use a canon recommended product (elgato cam link)? The part where I use the built-in canon camera settings? What are you smoking? The very function is documented by the makers of the Elgato Cam Link on their website. This entire setup is supported by canon, in that it entirely utilizes canon and canon approved products. 

whiffycow
Apprentice

If you're streaming with a CamLink (way better than EOS software) don't put it in movie mode, you want it in one of the still camera modes.  The Camlink is sending the display of the camera, not it's end product, so your still camera will be sending video too.  Which camera mode depends on how much control you want, but that's up to you.  You gotta use manual focus to remove focus box, and don't forget to disable the regular auto shutoff setting if you haven't already.  I'm using a T7 with CamLink.

This is great, except for he white auto fucus box that doesnt seems to go away. Any ideas?

Announcements