cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200-400 tamron lens that is compatible?

stephadkins
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T3 and was wondering if there was a 200-400 tamron lens that is compatible?

Thanks Steph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank You All for helping me with my Issue, I am very happy to get support from all of you.

pris796

Jacksonville, FL

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

diverhank
Authority

@stephadkins wrote:

I have a Canon Rebel T3 and was wondering if there was a 200-400 tamron lens that is compatible?

Thanks Steph

I think there was.  I'd recommend against this lens for several reasons

1. It's no longer supported - pretty old lens

2. It wasn't known for great image quality.  Also there's a lot of chromatic aberration (purple and green fringing).

You will be much better off with a more modern lens.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

pris796
Enthusiast

Let me know what kind of Lens you find because I have a T3 also.

Pris796

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do you mean the Tamron AF200-400mm F/5.6 LD IF ?  If it is, it is a pretty nice lens.  It is on par with the 150-500mm Sigma of which I have both.  The Tamron is a way old design and may not work well with new Rebels as I haven't tried it on one so I can not say.

I don't know for sure but I will guess a good used one is around $150-$175 bucks.  Any of the current offerings for any of the makers including Tamron will be better.  However, get it right and it will do a nice job.  Check that is works, first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for getting back with me, the 150-500mm Sigma sounds good.

pris796

@pris796 wrote:

Thank you for getting back with me, the 150-500mm Sigma sounds good.

pris796

That's a fairly heavy lens for a T3 body.  Be sure to always support the lens, and don't let the weight of the lens hang from the camera's lens mount.  I used to use the tripod foot as a hand grip to support the lens/camera combination.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I really don't want a heavy lens, I am looking for something that can be hand held, I already have a 75-300.

pris796

"I really don't want a heavy lens, ..."

The 200-400mm and/or the 150-500mm are close relatives.  In both size and weight.  I don't know the exact figures but using both they are fairly similar.

"...something that can be hand held..."

That depends on you!  I routinely hand hold the big Sigma S zoom and you measure it in pounds not ounces.  I have no problem hand holding either the Tamron or Siggy mentioned.

"I already have a 75-300."

Any of these is better, IMHO, of course.

EB

Start your own topic and explain exactly what you want. If you have and like the 75-300, what focal length are you looking for?

Except for the EF-S 55-250, any lens that has more than 200 mm of focal length will be big and heavy.

"That's a fairly heavy lens for a T3 body."

Yeah, I don't know why any body would say that.  You don't hold a heavy lens by the camera anyway.  I have had my big 600mm f4 prime on a XTi lots of times.  So what?  Putting it on a 1 series just makes the combo heavier! 

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements