cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm kit lens for my T3i

sonnysuarez
Contributor

My kit lens 18-55mm for my T3i doesn't auto focus anymore just after using only for a year. Can this still be repaired?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are sure it is broken, I would  not bother getting it repaired as you can buy a good used one for less than a repair cost.

If you decide to buy one, try to get the latest "STM" version as it is a really nice improvement over the older versions.  At very least make sure you get the "IS"  or "IS II" version as they have Image Stabiliztion and better optics than the older versions without IS.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

"The STM still has advantages."

Yes it does and it costs more. Seems like the OP is more interested in cost savings than performance. In his/her position I doubt seriously they will know the difference. Might as well save the dough until later when "real" upgrades is wanted.

IMHO, as always!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

As I pointed out earlier, there is not much difference between the used prices of an 18-55 IS or STM  lens. Even if they choose to buy new, there is only a $50 difference.          B&H Photo:  New 18-55mm prices

For $50 you get a much better lens. Even a complete novice will appreciate all the advantages that STM lenses present.

Photography is a hobby for me.  I started with an AE-1 camera and FD lenses in 1978. In 1989 I switched over to EOS cameras and have owned many different EF and EF-S lenses over the years. More recently I have been able to afford expensive Pro cameras and L lenses.

I can tell you from first hand experience that these new Canon STM lenses are wonderful and make me seriously question whether any amateur(including myself) hreally needs to spend so much on "Pro" equipment now that these "Kit" lenses have come so far. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks to all of you MikeSowsun, ebiggs1 & TCampbell for all your very informative inputs to my post. My current concern now is to have a replacement for my existing one which don't auto focus and i had a hard time getting a focus shot using MF. Due to budget limitations i don't have other recourse than to look for a use one which will suite my budget. I will look around starting from the people whom i know who might want to sell their kit lenses. EF-S 18-55mm IS STM version will be my target to look for, if i could have it, in a way i have upgraded from my existing kit lens.

Again thank you very much to all of you guys, more power to all of you!

Thanks a lot ebiggs1 for the Tip, would highly consider your warning.

Announcements