cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16:9 mode question

steve_tiger_03
Apprentice

After using Rebel T6 for couple months, I still confuse about the settings.  I setup the mode as 16:9 as default, but the pictures are still come out as 4:3 (or 3:2), but some are came out as 16:9, why?  In last trip, I'm pretty sure I took all the pictures under "P" mode (not Auto mode); but the pictures are not come out as 16:9, but few of them are.

Is it because only when I used the live view mode, the pictures will come out as 16:9?

Thanks

Steve

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You are correct. It only applies to live view.

pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

Is that mean I can use Canon software to import to reserve 16:9 mode?  Currently, I'm using Windows import photos feature to import my pictures to my computer.

Thanks,

Steve

Sure, all software allows you to crop. No special help for 16:9, though.

Is there any way to force the T6 always use the live view?  I can't find anywhere that allow me to set it.  I don't want to go thru hundred of pictures to crop to 16:9.

Thanks,

Steve

No, you have to press the live view button. Live view is a huge battery drain.

Aspect
@steve_tiger_03 wrote:

Is there any way to force the T6 always use the live view?  I can't find anywhere that allow me to set it.  I don't want to go thru hundred of pictures to crop to 16:9.

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, there is a way to always produce images with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio.  You do not have to use Live View just create images with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio.  Just go into the menus and change the Aspect Ratio default setting from 3:2 to 16:9.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
 Aspect
@steve_tiger_03 wrote:

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, there is a way to always produce images with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio.  You do not have to use Live View just create images with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio.  Just go into the menus and change the Aspect Ratio default setting from 3:2 to 16:9.  

Hi Waddizzle,

I already set default aspect ratio to 16:9, but all of my pictures came out as 4:3 (except some pictures that I used the live view), that's why I was confused about the settings.

Thanks,

Steve

Aspect
@steve_tiger_03 wrote:

Thanks,

Steve

I think the only way the T6 can change the aspect ratio is via live view as in the manual exerpt above. I could not find a way to change the aspect ratio in any other mode.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@steve_tiger_03 wrote:

After using Rebel T6 for couple months, I still confuse about the settings.  I setup the mode as 16:9 as default, but the pictures are still come out as 4:3 (or 3:2), but some are came out as 16:9, why?  In last trip, I'm pretty sure I took all the pictures under "P" mode (not Auto mode); but the pictures are not come out as 16:9, but few of them are.

Is it because only when I used the live view mode, the pictures will come out as 16:9?

Thanks

Steve

Your camera has a default aspect ratio of 3:2, not 4:3.  How are you determining the aspect ratio?

All files are captured at a 3:2 aspect ratio, except when you use Live View mode.  While the files can be captured at 3:2, they can also be displayed at any aspect ratio, or crop factor, that you want.  Similarly, the files can also be displayed at any aspect ratio that an application wants to display.

Canon’s DPP software can display your files at any aspect ratio that you want.  You can apply that aspect ratio setting to dozens, or hundreds, of photos at once with a just a few mouse clicks.  You can generate JPEGs with that final aspect ratio with just a few more mouse clicks.  This how the digital darkroom works.

In film days, all images were captured on negatives with fixed aspect ratios.  If the photographer wanted something different,then he had to take a little time to alter it.  The digital darkroom makes this process VERY easy to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements