cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t2i stalls...screen flashes busy for 15 to 30 seconds

funandbold
Apprentice

i have about a 2.5 yr old T2i...I've shot over 27000 picures with.

About 6 months ago I noticed that during a shoot it would stall and the screen flashes "busy"!

Sometimes it is a delay of 15 to 30 seconds before I can shoot the next picture.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, it just happens.

I originally thought it was the media card, but I have formatted the card several time, that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can anyone help?

Thx

Gary

8 REPLIES 8

smack53
Mentor

I've had that happen when shooting long exposure shots in RAW where it could take almost as long as the shutter speed value to write the image to the card. I went with a faster higher capacity card and that seemed to help.

Have you noticed if there was anything in particular that you were doing when you got this stall condition? For instance, shooting a string of RAW images in quick succession? Do you shoot in RAW+JPEG, which could slow the processor speed? Even the battery not being fully charged can slow things a little. Sounds like the processor is bogging down from time to time. Does this happen only while shooting stills or in video mode as well?

Steve

Hi Steve

Thx for responding...

I very seldom shoot raw...mostly just jpeg.

Almost never shoot video, but haven't had it happen then.

I first seemed to only happen occasionally...now I pretty much know it's going to happen every time.

I do a couple of photo shoots a week, and get the model posed and ready, and he **bleep** thing is flashing busy.  Some times I can get two or three shots but then it is busy again.

I was looking at cameras at Costco and a guy walked up and was looking to.  He said he has a T3i and that he found a new download that made his camera faster and more efficient.  I've never been on this site and looked around but didn' find anything that looked like it would work.

It's getting kind of aggravating.  The t2i has been a great camera, I've shot over 27000 pictures with it in 2.5 years

Gary

btw...I'm using a Pro200x 8gb HC Class 10 card

I would try another card, or at minimum format the card.  Though I'd really try to get another card.  I'd also do a factory reset of the camera. 

That card should be plenty fast enough for the camera, especially in jpg.  Something isn't right.  Either the card is corrupt, or somethings caught up in the software.  If a new card and factory reset don't work I'd look at reinstalling the latest firmware.

I don't know of any third part software that would speed up the camera.  I really wouldn't mess with such things if your camera already isn't functioning properly.

Thank you.

Yes the card was my first thought and I have reformatted it several times.

As for the programing I was told about he said it came from Canon...

But thx for the advise

It's possible that the T3i had a firmware update that fixed some issue with download speeds.  But that would most likely be specific to just the T3i.  Regardless, I would check what firmware you have and update if there's something newer.

@smack53 wrote:

I've had that happen when shooting long exposure shots in RAW where it could take almost as long as the shutter speed value to write the image to the card. I went with a faster higher capacity card and that seemed to help.

Have you noticed if there was anything in particular that you were doing when you got this stall condition? For instance, shooting a string of RAW images in quick succession? Do you shoot in RAW+JPEG, which could slow the processor speed? Even the battery not being fully charged can slow things a little. Sounds like the processor is bogging down from time to time. Does this happen only while shooting stills or in video mode as well?

Steve

In your case, you should check Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Because camera will take 2nd photo as long as the first one to cancel out the noise using dark frame subtraction method.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks for that tip! I will look into that for sure!

Steve

Announcements