cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sea water in the lens and camera

Eduardo21
Contributor

Hola, I am a scuba diver and I take underwater photography, I got sea water into the Canon Eos R as well into the macro lens, so far equipment is death, any suggestion to recover it???? do you have any idea if Can on can fix it????

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“He’s dead, Jim.”  

There is hope, but it is slim to none.  Time to look for new gear, I am afraid.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

at the beginning I was hoping a good solution..... I will continue trying to recover it.

Thanks anyway.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Truthfully, Wadizzle has already given you the best answer. >> No recovery from salt water my friend <<

Hopefully you have insurance and are pursuing a claim?  The next time you buy a camera, and that's what you are going to be doing here, buy insurance.  Square Deal, Allstate, CPS...  I don't know if damage by submerging under water is covered, but you can ask and if so, it's worth it. 

Refurbished R's are on sale right now $1299.  Really sorry to hear about the loss.

Refurbished EOS R Body|Canon Online Store 

**CarePak covers liquid damage and the exclusions don't say anything about scuba-diving.

Canon CarePAK Plus Terms & Conditions | Canon Online Store      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your help, anyway I am going to separate piece by piece, clean it using Isopropanol and they try to assemble again.....  another problem is that I can't change camera otherwise, I would need a new housing around $2K more.....

I am not sure that salt dissolves in propanol. I am pretty sure that you need de-ionized water.

The problem is that even if you clean it and it seems to work, every time the humidity gets high enough, the leftover salt will start to eat away at things again, so you can never trust the camera to be reliable.

Thanks, Kvbarley, anyway if it is gone, I don't have anything to lose trying.

Salt will be disolved in clean water, then the propanol cleans all the circuits.

wowwww, I am going to get a new one.......

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I know nothing about diving.  Its cool, but is right up there with parachuting.  OK for you, but not me.  I'm an excellent swimmer and all that, but I like air.  I admire those who do it though.  Hats off to you.  Hope it works out.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements