cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please which is better to buy, a canon 5D mark III or a 7D?

oocharles
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

6D would be a good choice for weddings and studio shooting, too.

It has a simpler AF system, more what you are accustomed to with your current camera.

5DIII is the "ideal", especially with a much more advanced and sophisticated AF system that's certainly nice, but a bit of overkill for wedding and studio photography.

If you would like to keep $1000-1500 in your pocket or have it to put toward a lens upgrade, then you might want to look at the 6D. If you want the best and money is no object, 5DIII.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

cale_kat
Mentor

The answer is, it depends. Considering that this is your first post and you have not added any additional detail about usage, I would recommend that you don't overspend.

thanks, i had been using a canon 550d, but i really wanted to get something really that i would stick to. mostly for weddings and studio shots. i have been reading about both products, still i am undecided

The additional detail helps a great deal. How much do you have invested in the APS-C format 550D? If you go the 5D Mark II route you'll have to replace any EF-S lenes to get a full frame image. But you know this already because you're a wedding and studio photographer.

5D3 for that kind of work. 7D is more for sports & wildlife shooters.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thanks alot

"If you want the best and money is no object, 5DIII."

I second this.  It says it all.   This camera can take you as far as you want to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

6D would be a good choice for weddings and studio shooting, too.

It has a simpler AF system, more what you are accustomed to with your current camera.

5DIII is the "ideal", especially with a much more advanced and sophisticated AF system that's certainly nice, but a bit of overkill for wedding and studio photography.

If you would like to keep $1000-1500 in your pocket or have it to put toward a lens upgrade, then you might want to look at the 6D. If you want the best and money is no object, 5DIII.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you I appreciate
Announcements