cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please advise regarding suitable polarising filter for,,35/85 ef zoom lens used on d1000 many thanks

opal2324
Contributor

4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

I find no info on a Canon EF 35-85mm, but there appear to have been a number of  EF35-80mm versions sold up to about 1995.

If that's the correct lens, those appear to all use a 52mm filter, so that's the size you need (filter size might be indicated right on your lens),

You need a "Circular" polarizer (the other type of polarizer will interfere with your camera's AF and/or metering systems).

Better quality, multi-coated filters give the best image quality and, in the case of a C-Pol, the smoothest effects and most neutral color rendition.  

Some good quality, multi-coated filters are B+W MRC, B+W Kaesemann, B+W Pro Nano MRC, Hoya HMC, Hoya SHMC, Hoya Pro HD, Heliopan SH-PMC. Marumi also reportedly makes really good filters, though I don't know their designation for their multicoated, good quality line.

You don't need a "slim" filter on that lens. Those usually cost more and some of them don't have front threads, so you can't easily put a lens cap on the fitler (have to remove it to cap the lens).

Do you have the matching lens hood for your lens? If not, I'd recommend getting it. A hood is always a good idea to use, but it's even more important when using a filter, too... both to protect from oblique light and from physical bumps.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

I used so many CPL filter, but I love Marumi the most especially the scratch and dirt resistance multi-coated one. I've bought expensive CPL and they're great but i hate it when it comes to cleaning. With Marumi, I just need to blow off the dust and it looks sparkling new, no dust, no finger print, no scratch. Other filters scratch easily. In addition, 52mm Marumi filter is not expensive at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There is no EF 35-85mm lens currently, nor does it show up in the history of lenses. 

But here's the important part:  The filters come in different thread diameters and you'll need the filter which fits on threads on the front of your lens.  That filter diameter is usually printed at the front edge of the lens -- you'll just need to make sure you order the correct size (BTW, the diameter will affect the price -- larger diameter filters cost more.)

The B+W Kaesman CPL is probably the highest quality filter there is... but this will probably be somewhere in the area of $150 (again -- depending on the diameter you need) and part of what makes it a good filter isn't just the optical quality, but also the build and durability.

The Hoya "Pro1" series filters tend to be very good but for a lower price.  Expect to pay between $50-90 depending on the actual diameter you need.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Hoya HD is a good choice. Actually a polarizer and perhaps a ND are the only filters that are really needed anymore. With the onset of digital and great post software, they have become unnecessary.

I bet I have every color and type filter made downstairs in my photography room, mostly Canon brand, too, and I have not touched a single one for 15 years or more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements