cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning upgrading from t3i

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys!

So I've had my t3i for a while and I think I'm hitting the limitations in the t3i in terms of what I'm doing now. I've had the camera for about 1-2 years (was given to me as a xmas gift) and up until now, I've done automotive photography, nature photography, as well as portrait photography. I thought that the T3i was already a good enough camera for me to suit my needs but I realized I might need more now but I'm not sure. One night, I was doing rolling shots with a few buddies of mine and noticed in post processing, that there was a ton of grain in most of the pictures if I turned up the shadows (was shooting in betwen 1/10-1/20th of a second at F8.0 at 3200ISO. What are the benefits of upgrading from a T3i or do I just need a better lens? I was thinking of going to either a T4i or a T5i but at the same time, I want to go for a full frame sensored camera but I don't know if the types of photography I'm doing right now require such an advanced camera such as the 5D MkII  or if the t4i/t5i will be good enough. Also, do the lenses for the T3i work for the 5D MKII or do I have to purchase new lenses for it? I'm guessing the lenses for the T3i are compatible with the T4i and the T5i. Thanks!  

76 REPLIES 76

"For some reason I can't use Lighting Effects Smiley LOL do I have to select something or can I just apply it to the entire picture?"

You have CS6 or CC?   As with anything in PS, there are many ways to do this. One is in the Fliter tab.  Choose Render and Lighting Effects.

1000.jpg

I don't know your level in using PS but a course from a local community college or camera store may help.  Or you can just fiddle around with the settings until you get what you are after.

Remember one most main point, layers are your best friend.  Use them.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have CC 2014. I took a course at my local community college for each Lightroom and Photoshop but I actually learned a lot more from some fellow car enthusiasts and through YouTube believe it or not haha. Reason being is because I didn't do very well in those classes and because those fellow car enthusiasts edit their photos similar to the style that I edit mine in so the advice and tips that they gave me led me closer to what I wanted to achieve, in comparison to what the teacher taught us. 

For instance, this was something that I was trying to go for: Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (not my photo, a buddy of mine took this) Sort of like a picture you'd capture in say Forza, Gran Turismo, or some sort of racing video game.

But instead, I got this (please see attached):

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

This was also another effect that I wanted to have in my photos shooting at this particular mall but I just cannot figure out how he's doing it (C63 AMG). We went to the same event and I just decided that for all the photos where you can see the background/the sky, I'm just going to give them all that summer look, like what I did with this Ferrari F12 but to me personally, the picture overall still looks too hard in general. 

i8

Another example would be like this i8. You can easily tell that the background is somewhat desaturated and the highlights were brought down significantly. I know he's using a combination of layers but other than a bunch of layers, I can't figure out how he's adding that gaming effect to his pictures.

Update: nevermind, I had to switch from 32bit to 8bit. 

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

So I've tried shooting at single point autofocus and above 1/60th (also chose 1/125th for some odd reason) with my 17-55 for standstill shots, and I still am not able to shoot sharp photos.  

Can you u/l a couple samples?  We need to see the issue. Smiley Happy

EB

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

these four, for example:

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 1.34.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-06 at 1.34.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-06 at 1.34.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-06 at 1.34.38 PM.png

Well you stripped all the exif from the samples.  The first two are pretty useless for sharpness.  The last two show problems.  If I had the exif I might be able to tell if it is a camera/lens issue or you.

A little editing in PS helps but it is still not super sharp.  U/L another with the exif intact.

Check this out.

edited.png

EB

what do you mean by the exif...? O_o and how would you export the photos from lightroom with exif (I actually don't know what exif is)?

EXIF is the data from the camera at the moment of the shot.  Whatever software you are using is stripping it from the photo.

Also do not convert the photo to png.  Make a regular jpg.

"I took a course at LR and that's how I know how to use LR haha."

You can easily set the correct parameters in LR with the Eport function.  I thought you new how to use LR?  Yes, no?  Smiley Frustrated

EB

I did, but the teacher didn't go that indepth. She went over the very basics. Just told us to not mess with the settings and import the images as is. Looks like I'll have to figure this out haha.

Announcements